1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Alien13, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Hey
    When i burn my dvds i use shintaro 8x dvd-r is this a good brand or should i switch to a better brand if so what one?

2. J_man

J_man Regular member

Enter the following into the search bar: Best dvd media

Then read the search results of about 10,800 from forums.afterdawn.com for best dvd media.
    Happy Reading

3. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanx for the info

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Check out dogbombs thread at the top of this forum,it says those shintaro -8x are made by cmagnetics,"CMC"

Piss poor manufacturer,stay away from them entirely.C-magnetics media sucks,

If you want to burn at 8x in the - format,try maxell -8x gold tops,coded mxl-rg03.That code is not listed on dogbomb's sticky thread. These are made in japan,thus the best media is made there.I got mine for $10.00 for a spindle of 25.No coasters.

If burning at 4x,try maxell -4x yellow tops. Ritek go4,mxl-rgo2,and tygo1 makes these. Cmags don't make any of their media,yet.Ty youdins also very high quality media.

Look for made in japan on those wrappers when you shop for media. There are always sales on them at stores like staples,bestbuy,office depot,office max,and walgreens.

If buying them on the net,check out this dvd-r media forum for all the sales at supermedia store and other sites. Somebody always telling us what media is on sale and where at. Sometimes you get lucky and get the codes of them from us.

5. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

If i cant get some of the disk mentioned is sony ok?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Sony -8x should be ok,beware of the -4x's"colored discs",they are made in austria.

Sony's best media is made in japan,just look on label.

I don't know if you can burn the + format,but the quality seems to be a lot better for sony.I like sony + 1-8x,these are manufactured in japan and taiwan.Both a performing well for me.I can get 16x out of them and great playback.

7. J_man

J_man Regular member

Alien13,

What model of burner are you using?

8. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Well my burner is a sony DW-U18A which can write dvd r/rw -/+

9. J_man

J_man Regular member

I have the Sony DRU710A and use Verbatim 1-8x+R media.
    Sony's manufacturing preference is for the use of (+)R media rather then (-)R media. This is the offical format that want out on the market. I would suggest the use of (+)R media by either Sony,Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden for your drive. Their are other brands some members will tell you that work great but with over 400 burns and no coasters at all I highly recomend them.

Supermediastore has these verbatims on sale right now for $35.00 (65bucks minus a $30 dollar rebate) for 100pk spindle.

http://supermediastore.com/verbatim-8x-dvd-plus-r-94968-100.html

Here is a small list of manufacture perfered media:

DVD+R and DVD+RW

DVD+R and DVD+RW formats are supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha and others.
    DVD+R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R. A DVD+R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time.

DVD+RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW. The data on a DVD+RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a +R/+RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM

These formats are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba, Apple Computer, Hitachi, NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp. These formats are also supported by the DVD Forum.
    DVD-R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R and DVD+R. A DVD-R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time. There also are two additional standards for DVD-R disks: DVD-RG for general use, and DVD-RA for authoring, which is used for mastering DVD video or data and is not typically available to the general public.

DVD-RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW or DVD+RW. The data on a DVD-RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a -R/-RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-RAM discs can be recorded and erased repeatedly but are only compatible with devices manufactured by the companies that support the DVD-RAM format. DVD-RAM discs are typically housed in cartridges.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  10. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanx for the info ill try those disks next time.