1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Ram format

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ralfdog, Aug 16, 2004.

1. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

I have a Panasonic which records in DVD-RAM. I like the editing qualities of this format, but before I back up all my VHS tapes on this, do you think the DVD-RAM is here to stay. I wouldn't want to depend on a format that might become an obsolete feature in the future, much like the defunct Beta video tapes.

2. robguy

robguy Member

I've been using DVD-RAM for several years with my Panasonic DMR-E30s. No problems.

I only use DVD-RAM to record; then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to cut/edit and burn to a plain DVD-R. Given the price of blank DVD-RAM media, archiving to DVD-R makes better economical sense. DVD-RAM is, of course a rewritable format, and can be used over and over, like any rewritable.

If you're going to archive, and don't need to edit anything out of your VHS tapes, then just burn the tapes with DVD-R. If you're going to edit, or want to include a menu, etc., burn to DVD-RAM, edit on your computer with TMPGEnc DVD Author, then burn to a DVD-R.

3. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

Robguy--
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I would like to edit that is why I like the Ram format. So when you use the video Author do you lose any quality backing up to DVD-R?

4. robguy

robguy Member

When making DVD-Rs, I haven't seen any difference from the original DVD-RAMs.

To get the best-quality recording, use the fastest speed on DVD-RAM (the speed that will fit the length of the material you're recording ... I'm partial to Panasonic's "Flexible Recording" mode when I, for example, record a movie that's 2 hrs and 3 mins). On occasion, I've even recorded directly onto a -R, which was great for recording short segments of old home movies from VHS(of course, Panasonics' menus are, well, visually ugly).

5. juca39

juca39 Guest

I have a Panasonic recorder and a Pioneer DVR-07 dvd Dive , which reads DVD-RAM. How can I edit and copy de DVD-RAM that was recorded in my Panasonic to a DVD-R in my Pioneer DVD drive? Which program to read, edit and copy to a DVD-R?
    I would appreciate your help.

6. robguy

robguy Member

TMPGEnc DVD Author is one of the few programs that will read the .vro file from your DVD-RAM disc. As you may know, a .vro file can contain one or more recordings made on your Panasonic. DVD Author sees multiple recordings (if you made more than one), or just one (if you've made just one).

It then copies the files to your hard drive as MPEG-2 files. You can edit in DVD author, and cut out commericials etc., then add a menu and burn with DVD author to a -R.

7. juca39

juca39 Guest

Robguy.
    Thanks for the info. I just downloaded the trial version of DVD author and it works great. I just placed the DVD-RAM and the program did almost everything by itself. The only thing I did is to delete comercials and some unwanted material. The program has some feauters that I did not use, I will try them soon. The outcome was a perfect DVD with chapters (I did not include menus, didn't want to). The quality was as the original and the DVD+RW that i used to burn(I tried RW to avoid coasters)played all the way to the end in my home player without skeeping or freezing. The whole thing took about 90 minutes.
    Many thanks again. I will buy the complete program. And make one DVD with everything; menus, chapters,etc. I will let you know how it goes.

8. robguy

robguy Member

Glad everything worked out for you.