1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RAM-How to Use?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by slaurents, Mar 12, 2007.

1. slaurents

slaurents Member

I have a DVD recorder that has a DVD-RAM dvd in a cartridge. I just bought a portable DVD player that says the only format I can use that isn't finalized is a DVD-RAM without the cartridge. Mine has a cartridge but it says the DVD can be taken out of the case.
    My first question is - how do I use the DVD-RAM? Do I have to use it in the cartridge to record on the DVD recorder or can I take it out of the cartridge to record?
    How do I get the DVD-RAM dvd out of the cartridge?
    Do I have to initialize the DVD-RAM before I can use it?
    Sorry about all of the questions, but I am at a total loss. I can't find the answers on the internet and my recorder's manual is useless. Thank you.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Type 2 DVD-RAM cartridges allow the disc to be removed so that it can be played in standard players or drives. (However, most players and drives still won't be able to read the disc)

First break (yes, break) the locking pin by pushing on it with a pointed object such as a ballpoint pen. Remove the locking pin. Unlatch the cover by using a pointed object to press the indentation on the back left corner of the cartridge. Data is recorded on the unprinted side of the disc -- do not touch it. When you put the bare disc back the cartridge, make sure the printed side of the shutter and the printed side of the disc face the same direction.

Most DVD-RAM drives will not allow you to write to a bare disc.

Some will not allow you to write to a cartridge if the disc has been removed.

Here is how to open DVD-RAM cartridge

http://www.mytechguide.com/18/removing-dvd-ram-disc-from-cartridge/

and here

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/DVD

and here

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Dvdramopen2.gif

What do you mean "initialise" the disk? You want to record on it, in the DVD recorder, and play it in the portable player? Why can't you just do that?

3. slaurents

slaurents Member

Thank you - I will try all of this. The reason I asked about initializing is because it said something about initializing the cd before it can be recorded on (or something like that - it didn't really make much sense to me). Thanks for all of your answers. I will try it this week.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I understand what they meant about the disk, DVD_RAM disks need to be formatted, just like a hard drive does, before you can use them. If the disk has been in use in your DVD recorder, the disk will have been formatted by that device. FAT32, UDF, etc. Hopefully, the portable DVD player will be able to read the disk in that format after you remove it from its case.

-- BUT --

Be careful! These disks are very fragile and even gentle handling and removal and replacement in cartridges and insertion in drive trays can damage them so that after a while the disk may not work. I have worked with DVD-RAM disks without cartridges. I have thrown plenty away.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007