1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Read Error

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DougStrou, Apr 19, 2005.

1. DougStrou

DougStrou Guest

I have had 100% success copying my DVDs, until today. I have encountered this error message-
    DVD Shrink 3.2
    Failed to read file D:\
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Any idea of the problem and offer a solution?

Thanks,

Doug

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

what combination of apps ripped it?

3. DougStrou

DougStrou Guest

I used DVD Shrink 3.2

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Cyclic redundancy check: There are bad spot/s on that disc you are tying to rip.

Usually this means dirty/damaged/or just a bad pressed disc. If it an original copy of a dvd,usually it is dirty.Carefully look for scratches,fingerprints,or other defects. Clean it and you may be ok,or exchange it for another copy. If it is damaged,you may be able to use dvd decrypter and set it for: Ignore all read errors and Rip with brute force.

Lately,the newer encryptions are giving this error. Spanglish is the latest.Dvd shrink can't rip through the newer sony arcos encryption. It needs help,via anydvd by slysoft or just use the latest version of dvd decrypter.It has just been updated to take care of the encryption of "Layer Cake".It worked on spanglish,whereas shrink gave me a CRC error in the initial analysis,the 2 min quickie.

What is the name of this movie you are trying to backup?

5. arniebear

arniebear Active member

What movie were you trying to backup? Are you using Nero, DVD Decrypter, or Any DVD, or any other application? CRC errors are usually caused by dirty/scratched/smudged disks try cleaning your disk. If you are trying to backup a newer movie DVD Shrink cannot handle this on its own it needs DVD Decrypter. Look at the Newbie thread in my sig, and also the quides it will give more info.

6. DougStrou

DougStrou Guest

Thanks everyone, I will try the suggestions each of you have mentioned and get back to you.
    The movie is "Step into Liquid". It is the most recent surf documentary and is a wonderful exploration into the different styles of surfing and the surfing communities.

Doug

7. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@ Saugmon

Faster typer than me lol :)

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Squeeked that one in there arniebear. I use to do 80 wpm in high school,but that was over 20 years ago. The apple mac was just born back then,lol

I haven't heard of that one, LOL

My best guess would try dvd decrypter. It's free,and a very powerful ripping program. Go into tools to find the tabs for rip with brute force and ignore all read errors. I haven't had any luck with it,but others have. Good Luck