1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Reader Advice?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KCman, Feb 15, 2005.

1. KCman

KCman Guest

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good DVD reader that I can get "true" 16X read speed with DVD Shrink?

I'm trying to extend some life to my Sony DRU-710A... BUt there are so many on the market out there, and so few reviews.

I'd like to stay with a Sony, but I'm up for any brand if I can get better quality.

Thanks in advance.

2. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

dude! i was in your shoes earlier today. did a ton of research and got some feedback on this forum and ended up buying the best (IMHO) - Plextor PX-716UF (external) @ Best Buy for $197.99. this thing flys and has a firmware update on the website that even updates it to burn DUAL LAYER @ 6X - unheard of thus far. Plextor is, as some say it on this forum, the Mercedes of the burners - its worth every penny. go for it!

3. brobear

brobear Guest

16X read speeds with Shrink. Ever notice how the read is more dependent on the condition of the disc and the difficulty of the encryption being used on factory DVDs? Most ROMs won't hit those higher speeds unless they have an unencrypted disc in pristine condition. And a lot of people suggest not burning DVD over 4X. So, all those blinding burn speeds can contribute to the increased chances of recording errors. So, unless you're wanting to buy and use the currently high priced DL media, there isn't really a need for more than a 4X burner with 12X read capability (for backing up DVDs). My ROM is faster than that, but I noticed a lot of reads with Decrypter run about 8-10X and the average is about 5-6X.

I can see moving up if one needs a new drive. But if one needs to save some bucks, the older equipment still does a good job with the DVD5 media.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2005
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

nice one brobear , better put than i would have worded it.
    I myself swear by doing all ripping from a drive other than dvd burner, to extend life of dvd burner (and also i read that dvd burners are crap at ripping). Anyway i use an LG GCC 4480B CDRW / DVD-ROM combo drive for all my ripping. I do all CD burning on there also, lightning fast in my USB2 enclosure.

I could recommend any cheapy £10 dvd-rom drive, but would rather recommend a CDRW/cd writer combo as they're quite cheap now and you get to move cd-burning off your dvd burner too.

It has to be said that DVD burners can be bought stupidly cheap but it's still best to get a dvd-rom as dvd burners aren't allegedly as good at ripping as dvd-roms.

brobear fleshed out the other stuff better than i can.

Rich

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

creaky
    To an extent we agree on some configuration. I rip with a DVD ROM and use the dual format burner mostly for burning duties. However, the Memorex burner I have is good at ripping. It's just more convenient to use a separate drive to read and it also allows for burning on the fly. So, those people with just the combo burner drive can do okay.

You're right on the prices of ROMs being down. With prices so low, it's a good idea to put in a DVD ROM if the system doesn't have one and has space (external drives are more expensive). If a CD RW is desired, that's okay, but just a matter of preference. I chose the dual format burner and a DVD ROM over that setup. In fact I gave my son the new CD RW that came as a freebie with the new PC.

6. creaky

yeah i should have used the phrase 'matter of preference' :)

i rush thru most of my dayime posts as our internet usage is monitored every which way so you always feel pressured/guilty/annoyed using the internet.

Rich sneakily replying to a post.
    (in the immortal words of Macauley Culin in Home Alone, "come and get me", ie i'm using the internet come and get me)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

My time and my PC, so I don't feel the same constraints. Evenings when AD's bandwidth is being overloaded is when I get off. Even with DSL the waits for connection are ridiculous sometimes.

8. creaky

lol the problem is when i get home and start posting i'm too knackered to fully read thru what i post. i get up at 0530 :( and sit at a screen all day fixing things and attempting to improve my unix scripting.
    I'm quite adept at editing my posts tho.
    DSL is good but trouble is that when the forum gets choked i lose the thread (of the thread) i was trying to reply to :)