1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD reading problems, burned w/ Pioneer DVR-106D

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mygoch, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Why don't you just use the NERO dvd wizard. Drag and drop and burn. Foolproof. If anything goes wrong then it is either crappy media or Nero itself.

2. leeaim

leeaim Guest

i can copy dvds using nero drag and drop,i was just trying the udf method but i cant get it to work.

3. leeaim

leeaim Guest

just found out that any pioneer drive has to be installed as a secondary master for it to work properly. just reinstalled it as master and copied some films and it plays them back perfectly as it didnt before. my other copies i did still wont play back on the pioneer but my new ones do.the only problem i have now is that it wont record at x4 but its not a major issue.

4. veromay

veromay Member

As a new Pioneer owner and newbie to DVD recording, I too am experiencing problems with my Pioneer DVR-106D. With the drive I received DVD XCopy Express.. Hard Drive is installed using cable select (secondary drive) with ultra DMA enabled. I have been using DVD +R (totally unsuccessful) and DVD +RW (Out of 7 tries, only 2 have worked). I am considering that perhaps I should use different media for DVD XCopy Express (what should I use?). I have 1GB of RAM running AMD processor 2200+ with Windows XP Home - Power DVD and Windows DVD software are the only other DVD programs installed (I removed Roxio EZ CD Creator 6.0 thinking perhaps there was a conflict). For Data backup the drive works perfectly with current media. Any help would be most appreciated.

5. Whoosh25

Whoosh25 Guest

My Pioneer DVR-AO6U/106D (& Pioneer DVD player) absolutely LOVES Memorex 4X DVD+R, works well with name brand DVD-Rs too.

Since reading all the suggestions on this forum I learned that DVDXCopy & DVDXCopy Express is "sucky" ...IMHO :)

After switching to these utilities: DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, CloneDVD & RecordNow Max
    I never gotten a coaster for a long time now.

But this is just my observations, do try other methods.

6. dust_cs69

dust_cs69 Member

@ veromay what kind of error do u get? where does the problem occur? does it burn properly?

i had a similar problem where only data discs would work waiting on replacement drive now

7. veromay

veromay Member

When it does burn, I receive a "successful burn" message... then nothing will read the DVD (meaning no freestanding DVD player and no PC DVD reader including the Pioneer). I would like to know more about the errors you had and when you (or the seller/manufacturer) decided that you needed to have the drive replaced.

8. dust_cs69

dust_cs69 Member

Mine was locking up right at the beginning where the burning app would say "writing lead-in" and it would just stay there for the whole process, at 1% and making a coaster, pioneer replaced no questions asked, i just explained what it was doing and they said use the warrenty so i did and now the new drive works fine :) hope you get yours working

9. MartyR

MartyR Member

New here..Having trouble burning any +R media w/ Pioneer 106D combo burner. Just got burner 2 weeks ago. Used Memorex+R 4x, Verbatium+R 2.4x & TDK+R 4x without any luck. Used Fuji-R 4x and it backs up my movies great with DVDXCOPY Express Version 2.5.2. I tried to upgrade the DVDXCOPY to the 3.01 version available on their website but I accidentally tossed the registration code that was on the box months ago. Maybe this would have fixed it. Anybody know if this could be the problem ? Does the old version only do –R media? Anybody having problems with +R Media???I tried Nero 6 and it does copy +R data but obviously it cannot backup movies like the DVDXCOPY can. I just read not to upgrade to 1.07 Firmware but it's too late..Already did it. Pioneer website said once you update firmware, you cannot get it back to 1.06 firmware. I don't know what the upgrade does? How can -R work but not +R. I would think that if one works than so should the other. Could I have purchased a defective unit? I called Tech Support through the store I purchased (Avologic.com) and they said there is a known compatibility/complaint issue with this 106D unit NOT being able to burn movies on +R media using DVDXCOPY Express. Sounds odd since these forums tell me other people are doing it. Talked to Pioneer tech support and they said it sounds like the DVDXCOPY Express is not finalizing the DVD copy process in the +R format. This must be why I am getting the "No Data" message from my DVD Players. Strange since the DVDXCopy software said the "burn was created successfully".They said the software should have an option to change the “finalize” setting to Joliet and not the VSO that it probably is in. I don’t recall a place to change the setting this way. Anyone please advise. Thank you. Marty

10. totoro

totoro Member

i also have a pioneer 106d and when i use nero 6x to create a video dvd i get coasters! it is weird! the burn finishes (!!!) and then i get a message "Burning started" and i get a coaster! i can open the disc on my interal PC DVD but the movie won't run properly at all.

any clue? usually happens with dvd-r but also with dvd+r

11. dust_cs69

dust_cs69 Member

If ive learnt anything it is not to use nero, use "record now" fixed my coator problems...

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

i have found if i use nero 5 and pioneer dvr106d i get good burns! if i use nero v6 on same settings i get lots of coasters! this new nero on anysetting doesnt work for me! but some it does?

so i am back to nero v5 and love it! come on nero people what have you done to this v6 of yours it sucks man!!!! sort it out i have used nero for years! but since this v6 issue i am leaning towards recordnow max! but not there yet! letting nero sort themelves out first!

Thx.

13. Fridays

Fridays Guest

I have Pioneer DVR-106U which I believ is the same as DVR-106D (that's what I got when cheched with CHRW.exe). When I rip DVD with DVDXCopy Xpress (used DVD-R and DVD+R Philips and another brand)I get sucsseful message from DVDXCopy but the DVD only plays on Pioneer DVR-106D only and not on any other DVD player (Sony, APEX, my computer DVD player, etc.). However, If I make a copy of the ripped CD (which was not readable) with Nero then that copy is readable, but I don't want to burn two CD to get one copy. I upgraded to 1.07 firmware from Pioneer site removed the DVDXCopy and reinstalled version 3.0.0 but no luck. Can anyone help me resolve this problem? My OS is Window XP, 1.8Ghz, 512 Gb memory, and 120 Gig Hard drive space. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2003
  14. leeaim

leeaim Guest

ive got a 106d and at first i got loads of coasters but now i use datawrite yellows.burn them at x2 on nero which i know take 28 mins but perfect every time.ive tried endless brands of discs but datawrite yellow always works for me.they play back on any sort of player too.

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ritek 4x (unbranded - nothing on top of disc) work great at 14 mins to burn!

dvd shrink
    nero v5
    pioneer dvr106d

Thx..._X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  16. Tomse

Tomse Member

I have the same problem as some of the users here.. Using a Plextor PX-504A burner.. i've tried 4 kinds of medias, Should-be 4x Bilk-Paq (though they are only 2.4x), Datawrite 2.4x, Verbatim 4x and Verbatim 2.4x RW. the only disc which is able to be read in the xbox, is the RW.. i've tried copying, make UDF images, burning ISO's etc.. and none can be read in my xbox.. i'm using the newest version of nero 5.5, and it gets kinda expensive burning and throwing out.. burning the same way on the RW = no problems..
    watching burned movies is no problem on other dvd players, but on the xbox it's like there is no disc inside..
    btw my medias are DVD+R (and DVD+RW)

17. dust_cs69

dust_cs69 Member

Your xbox is modded?

For ps2 i use dvd decryptor to make an ISO then burn it with record now max

18. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ritek 4x (unbranded - nothing on top of disc) work great at 14 mins to burn!

dvd shrink
    Nero v5
    pioneer dvr106d

and it works on xbox! this is films by the way! not games!

i dont use that funtion either for XBOX COMPATIBLE!

[​IMG]

Thx...

19. zedzed

zedzed Guest

I am having the same problem with pixellization, stutters and stops in the last 25% of a DVD.

I am making movie backups using the following setup

Hardware
    Pioneer 106D
    Ritek G04 with white top

Software
    DVD Decrypter
    Nero Recode to shrink
    Nero 6.0.0.23 to burn

Everything seems to work OK but then when I try to play a DVD in my DVD player the first 75% seems to work OK but then in the last 25% it craps out.

Zed

20. Stuie

Stuie Member

Do you guys know of ANY media that the Pioneer 106d will not record to? I have some DVDR's here and they just wont burn at all....

I only get as far as the lead-in section wjen burning on to them, they are called Longtech Ten's i think....btw i am using nero 5.5 and latest firmware revision...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004