1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rebuilder with CCE Basic Vs. DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by neilm247, Jun 7, 2004.

1. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

i am just wondering which is better. I've heard people talk about dvd rebuilder + cce and they say it is great. i don't want to wait 4 hours to see which is better rebuilder or shrink. Just wondering has anybody used both and which is better.

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

DVDrebuilder/CCE basic = Ferrari
    DVDshrink = VW Beetle

3. swmiller

swmiller Guest

If you are intrested in quality you have to have DVD Rebuilder. I use Rebuilder for anything shrink has to compress more then 20%.
    I use shrink to rip movie only, setting the size to custom to get the uncompressed movie on to my hard drive and then rebuild into a high quality backup that looks good even on my big screen.
    I can not express how happy I am with this method of DVD backup.

4. ricoman

ricoman Member

How long does it take to rip a movie DVD and convert the video files with Rebuilder so that it is ready to burn?

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Shrink is free but it is also at the bottom of the transcoder heap. Pinnacle instant copy is better,Intervideo's DVDcopy is better, Nero recode is better, DVD2one is better, and yes if the top of that heap is DVDrebuilder/CCE then they too are better.

6. swmiller

swmiller Guest

That depends on the length of the movie and the settings you use to rebuild it. Most times it takes me about three hours a movie. For me the quality is worth the time it takes.

7. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

thanks for the info but when i use Shrink it is quick and the quality is brillant. The lack of, is only noticable in Dances With Wolves (I know) which is hours long and that was at 52%! but i shall try out this rebuilder anyway

8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I still belive dvdshrink with deep analysis has as good a picture as any program I have used period. I don't use shrink because it is free. I use it because it is the best program for the job.
    I own Xcopy, Instant copy, Recode, and Oneclick DVD.
    I have used many others in trial form. I haven't used DVDrebuilder yet but I will test it when I get the time.

Since I don't have ANY quality issues with DVDshrink I still use it for 90% of my backups. I only switch to recode to work with the titles and extras sometimes.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm not suggesting that no one use Shrink. I used it for a while until I noticed a loss of picture quality when compared to DVD2one which I was already using. I then started a thread called "Which Trasncoding Tools Produce The Best Picture Quality." Go check it out and then see what you think. It changed my mind.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/88038

10. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

rebuilder won't read the ecl due to trial limitations or so it says, does this mean i have to do the unthinkable.....buy something???

11. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

12. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Good luck. Let us know what you think. I know there are at least a few people who are considering using Rebuilder so more opinions are always a good thing.

13. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

*sigh*, it didn't work, i don't want to sound daft but when i pointed it to eclcee, it prepared the data as usual. it then went to the encoding phase & said it was creating some sort of file d.2v? or something, and opened up the cce program which did nothing, it just stared at me for a while, all the while the rebuilder was doing nothing. i feel like i should be in the newbie place, why won't it work?.....vurbal?

14. vurbal

Let me think about this for a little bit. I know I've seen that, but I can't remember what the problem was.

Edit: Try this. In the D2VAVS directory for your DVD-RB project there should be a couple of files with the ECL extension - REBUILDER.ECL and another file with a bunch of numbers in the name. Run EclCCE and when CCE opens up, right click in the middle of the window. A menu will popup where you need to select Open. Then browse to the D2VAVS directory and select ECL file with all the numbers. It will appear in the CCE window. Click encode and let me know what happens.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I couldn't get the CCE basic trial up and running either, just received a message stating something to the effect that the a function was unavailable in the trial version.

16. vurbal

neilm,
    I think I remembered how I got that to happen before, but since I have some encoding going on right now I can't test to make sure. My guess is that you have the CCE Basic trial, which doesn't work with EclCCE. Make sure you're using the trial version of CCE SP and it should encode for you.

Sophocles,
    Thanks for posting that comment. I probably wouldn't have remembered that otherwise.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  17. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Sophocles

I read the comparison thread but the tests were flawed as stated it the thread.
    The Shrink was the older one with the poor encoder. The better encoder was included with 3.14 and past.
    It was also set for low quality, no deep analysis.

Thus the best program I have used for quality is still DVDshrink.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

They were all older versions except for DVD2one and all have improved since. What I am going on are actual tests performed by others and me who participated in the thread. We all used files that were in the 7.5 to 8 plus gig range such as Return of the king which really showed the flaws in Shrink. In short we were actively working together to determine what we thought was the best transcoder. We tested on several different machines, players, and TV sets that ranged from 32 to inch to a 56 inch HD Mitusubishi, and all of us were dismayed to discover how much we were missing in our backups. I have nothing against DVD Shrink, I've backed a good 30 movies with it myself, but like it or not if you're willing to pay a little money there are considerably better out there. We didn't do this to insult or change the minds of DVD Shrink fans, we did it because of a desire to get the best picture quality that we could.

19. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Are there results of any fair comparisons out there that show the difference you claim? I would be interested in seeing them.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I doubt that any of us are going to upload 4+ gig movies. My suggestion would be to send private messages to some of the participants or try a comparison yourself. Pinnacles Instant copy comes with a two week unrestricted trial period, DVDcopy2 comes with a three day unrestricted trial period. Frisk was one of the biggest sceptics and almost convinced me that DVDcopy2 was a flawed program but he gave it a try and here's hsi response taken from the thread.

[bold]I have just tested maximum copy.[/bold]
    Maximum copy was a German transcoder that we also unsuccessfully tried because it was in German only but frisk made it work.

[bold]Below is frisk's response and contribution to the thread.[/bold]

It's not faster than shrink and the picture quality
    is similar.

@sophocles
    I have just installed the latest Version of Intervideo
    DVD Copy 2 Platinum, it' seems the pixelation, big white artefact bug is solved. I did two movies Pearl Harbor and Green mile. Both are excellent quality copies.

Regarding quality IV DVD copy is for sure the best program of the fast transcoding tools. The quality
    you get for a big 8GB movie in only 30min. is amazing.

I will do some other tests especially with the DVD's
    that failed with the 1st version of IVDVD I've downloaded.

If the bugs are really gone...we will have a real winner!!!

[bold]Why don't you give it a try and be a contributor too, we would welcome your input.[/bold]

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004