1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rebuilder with CCE Basic Vs. DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by neilm247, Jun 7, 2004.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

You are probably right about the devotees of Shrink. And X Copy is sort of going the way of the dodo. Big Brother sort of has his hands full trying to control what is free in the public forum.

If you notice, most of the X copy problems were brought to the open forum for discussion. The private section, with its many company restrictions, couldn't or wouldn't discuss the various aspects of the program. Shrink is similar in that irregardless of the thread and title, someone brings it up. I've even done it myself in using Shrink to diagnose if a problem was system wide or a software failure. I don't even see maintaining a separate section for the DVD2One as things stand. Good software, but nothing outrageous.

Instead of comparisons and discussing what works, we could have individual cheering sections. Granted, the complaints and praise could be localized. And a person with expertise in one program could help the other needy folks venerating the same app.

2. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Kinda like a forum, eh brobear?

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Doc
    There the question arises, open or closed?

4. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Big-O, I would have to agree that Shrink has changed enough to be new. While there are new features, what makes it new in my book is that the transcoder is entirely different. It no long drops every third frame to get its space, but takes it mostly from the B frames. A mag look at the frames also shows different algorithms being aplied.

5. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

brobear ... my point exactly. I think you've pointed out quite well what happens when these things have their own room. It ain't good.

6. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

When one looks at the history of transcoder development, it is easy to understand why it was originally segmented.

Briefly, you had to use a number of different freeware tools to make a backup. Then came DVDXCopy which simplified the process, but it was 2 discs for a DVD-9. And you know 321 paid AD for advertising, and that is likely why its own room. Then came DVD2One, with 1 disc for a DVD-9. And they likely did some advertising.

And then the floodgates opened. A lot of programs could have been given their own rooms, but weren't. I think this was a good idea, and is actually a precedent now. I'm beginning to see that this shouldn't change.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

Doc409
    Was that you or someone else last night who used Decrypter to rip for Shrink. Also touting Decrypter to be a test tool for finding read errors, which it does. The quick analysis of Shrink will also show problems. Also, I've gotten pixel probs either way I check (log with Decrypter or analysis with Shrink). A deep buffing tool is the best route to go with the scratched discs (gets the whole disc, so no worries over spots, unless they're really bad and those are obvious to the eye).

I buy a scratched item especially when it is of a video out of production. I find DVDInfoPro good for checking disk errors as well as seeing which company manufactured the discs I'm using. Big rip off going on as you may know.

8. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

brobear, it was me. You made the comment that you didn't understand why some people use Decrypter to rip before going to Shrink.

I said that I often buy used DVD's, and Decrypter was good for showing read errors, but that Smartripper actually gave data that pointed to the location on the disc that needed polishing.

I know Shrink will tell you if you have an error, but if it is specific about the location, I don't know how to use that part yet.

What are you using for a deep buffing tool? I have this GameDr thing that has a crank handle with a polishing wheel, but it takes a long time. Also, I will have to check out DVDInfoPro. I understand it's good for other things also.

Edit. What do you mean by "big ripoff" going on? Are there counterfeit discs now?

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Doc
    The DVDInfoPro is a good free tool that does several things well. I would advise giving it a try.

Not counterfeit, just ripping the consumer off. The brands are sometimes selling their name and giving the customer an inferior product.

I'll go with 2 different manufacturing companies that make DVD disks. CMC Magnetics and Ricoh. Ricoh good, CMC not so good. Verbatim, Imation, Memorex, and Maxell (all) were selling Ricoh manufactured disks with the same numbers. I checked with DVDInfoPro and DVDIdentifier. If you ever noticed, there is a price discrepancy between these brands. Verbatim usually sticks with the better manufacturers. However my last batch, luckily small, of Memorex was by CMC. Got lulled by the better ones they had been selling.

So, the rip off is that you can overpay for the same disc under a different brand name. You can also get ripped off because the good discs you bought from a brand can turn out not to be the same on your next purchase. See how easy it is to get ripped off?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2004
  10. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I see what you mean. Very few media manufacturers, but a lot of companies brand-naming the media as their own. You gotta be careful.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Doc, Memorex is notorious for labeling them as their own. You also have to remember even when buying an excellent brand like Riteks to make sure they are branded cos there's imposters on that end too.

If you don't have DVD infopro, get it. It does more than just media info,you can compare ISO folders, check your drives,media for read errors, etc. A great little tool that my buddy Scuba Pete turned me on to, and the ads aren't annoying like some(a lot) of freebies are.

12. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I thought you had gone to bed!!! Or are you just up early?

Thanks. I've got a link here for DVDInfoPro, so I'll get the dl.

I've got to ask about ISO's. I've gotten by using file mode with everything. Maybe I did use ISO's, but I didn't know it. I aguess what I'm wondering is, what is special about ISO's? Is it something I need to learn about? If this requires a long explanation, maybe referring me to a link or something might be better?

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey Doc, been burnin'. Checking in between projects. I prefer file mode in Decrypter also but as you know, it can only burn ISO files( I never burn with decrypter, so no biggie).

ISO contains the DVD's entire contents(tracks,structure, etc)which have to be burned to see them. They can be sent to other people who can also use them to burn the DVD. Hope that helps, I'm off to bed.

PS-Don't forget about IFO files. LOL

14. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Thx. I never tried to burn an ISO with Decrypter. Also, as I understand it, in order to play an ISO file from the HD, it has to be mounted as a virtual drive. Sounds like a lot of extra steps.

I did get some good burns from files ripped in IFO mode, though. Since RB-CCE ... I haven't done a whole lot of new experimenting. I'm thinking about saving my shekels for more hardware to do an RB Farm - and get the encoding time down.

BTW, I don't ahve the #0003 error anymore. I've done some serious editing, and it still goes through. I think the Remake upgrade really did take care of it. Didn't make any changes to the system, either.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You are correct, I think Daemon tool can do this.

I still say CCE 2.67 has something to do with it. Maybe not but I ain't changing back to 2.69, haven't got the errors since I switched and that was before 2 DVDRemake updates..

Either way if it ain't broke......

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

17. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

If it ain't broke...

I started out with 2.67 because of that very post!!! Still got the #0003, which was frustrating. As you know, I tried a lot of things to narrow down the source. Remake files went through Shrink OK. Non-editd Remake files went through RB-CCE OK. But edited Remake files failed right at the beginning of the 3rd/Rebuilder stage. Then Remake released 2 new versions back-to-back, and no more problems. Coincidence? BTW, these releases happened after your post.

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I don't think this guy even used Remake, just RB/CCE so it wouldn't have anything to do with his post as far as remake is concerned, only CCE 2.67. With me I definitely stopped the errors by switching to 2.67 before the last 2 remake updates.

I guess as long as they are working it doesn't really matter, I'm just damn curious about it. Don't forget there is a rebuilder update thrown in the mix also. LOL

BTW, remake worked in all other apps I used it with too, which is why I thought the problem might lie elsewhere.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SOHW 832S dual layer[/small]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  19. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Yeah...I forgot about .56b.

vurbal has been helping someone that ended up with the #0003 problem after he got things installed. This error is a hard one to figure. At least I was able to put regular files through it without a problem.

I sure hope it is behind me.

20. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

"Catch Me If You Can" was out of the cooker when I got up this morning. I burned as usual, but got freezing at the end w/G04, and then with a RW. I decided to just run the Decrypter files through to see what happens. This is the first time I haven't had a perfect burn coming out of CCE.

I also ran the Decrypted files through 3.2, and got a good RW burn, so I'm fairly confident the ripped files are OK. It might just be I did something during the Remake process that corrupted those files. We'll see.