1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder fopr Home Movies - no VOB files

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by cdrsdad, Jan 31, 2007.

1. cdrsdad

cdrsdad Member

I am using a Phillips DVD Recorder (DVDR3400) to burn DVDs of my home movies from a camcorder. They dvds play fine, on any machine. But I now want to take the raw footage and edit it, using Pinnacle Studio. But when I go to the DVD, I can't find any VOB files to import. All the dvd seems to have are MPEGs.

Anyone have any idea why i would not see .VOB files?

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

you might try running the dvd through g-spot and see if the files on the dvd arn't svcd, and if they are svcd you can use convertxtodvd to make them to vob"s

3. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Connect your camcorder to your computer and copy your video directly into Studio. You shold be able to Edit then.

4. cdrsdad

cdrsdad Member

I tried that with studio, but after the first 20 minutes the lip synch goes off from the video, and it looks like a foreign horror movie.

The dvd recorder can take the whole 2 hours to dvd without that issue. According to Studio tech support, i will get better quality, etc with the recorder.

Have you every had that lip synch issue?

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Something doesn't sound right.

To play on other standalones (not the Philips that recorded it) there has to be standard DVD compliant files, VOB, IFOs etc.

6. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

I don't think STUDIO does VOBs. You will have to convert to MPEGs or AVI files to edit in STUDIO. So you would not see VOBs if you tried to open the movie in STUDIO, All you would have is a blank "box" next to the "Camera" Icon. You Could try to edit in Nero or even Shrink to remove Scenes.

7. cdrsdad

cdrsdad Member

So what is the best software for converting the video files? especially .mov files, etc to mpeg-2?