1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder not playing on PC (PC DVD Drive can not read DVD)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by IBL, Mar 23, 2005.

1. IBL

IBL Member

Recorder:

SONY RDR-GX3

Media:

TDK DVD-RW

Player:

PC EXTERNAL PLEXTOR PX-708UF

Problem:

Can not find a way to burn a full disc for playback on a PC DVD drive.

Format modes:

VR or VIDEO (Finalized and Unfinalized)

I think my problem has something to do with find the right type of disc, format type and if I should finalize or not.

How can I view DVD recorded DVDs on my PC DVD?

Any help is appreciated!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

[bold]if I should finalize or not[/bold]

Yep. You have to finalize them,or in my home recorder-Make them compatable.

3. IBL

IBL Member

When I Finalized a VR and a VIDEO mode DVD, neither worked. Any ideas?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I was just messing around and playing some of my cyberhome tv home burner's +r and +rw's on my lite-on and benq q roms on my pc. No problem recognizing and playing them on either drive. Some of my rw's are on memorex and cyberhome +rw's and are over a year old.

I have 4 pc burners and the tv burner,and I know some dvd drives can have problems playing certain backups,and the rw's are even trickier to get them to play.Sometimes,certain brands of discs and formats just won't play.Media change may help?
    I know my apex won't play those cyberhome dvd +rw's,that's why last year I bought a sony player just to play all those +rw's I had my backups on.The same can be said when trying to play them on a pc dvd-rom.

Being a plextor-external burner, I am not much into the problems of external burners,so I can't help you a whole lot.

Will that sony rdr-gx3 play it's own backups?

Will that plextor 708 play it's own backups-if you have made any?

5. IBL

IBL Member

I tried using

Imation DVD-R
    Imation DVD-RW
    Philips DVD+R (Did not work, drive does not do +R)

The SONY RDR-GX3 is playing back everything it records. I has not failed to record.

The PLEXTOR records mostly. Sometimes the odd Disc will not load in the PLEXTOR even though it will load in my other players.

I am going to switch media. Any other help is appreciated.

6. IBL

IBL Member

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=119&Search=Search&list=1

SONY RDR GX3 above.

Here are the formats that are supposed to work on this system and my Plextor PX-708UF

-R
    -RW
    +RW
    +R (some discs, but not supported)

Apparently it can use other formats but depends on the media. The supported is -R, -RW, +RW.

I must format blank DVDs. My choice is.

VR mode

or

VIDEO mode

Any one of those modes will playback on the Sony RDR-GX3. However I am having great trouble finding ways of playing the media outside of the SONY unit.

I did a quick disk test using VR (about 10 seconds) that I got working on my PC. The next time I finished the TDK DVD-RW disc it did not work.

So I tried different media and different formats but still no playback on PC.

So then I heard about finalizing.

I tried to finalize the DVDs in the drive, but after they finalized they did not work on the Plextor either.

Any ideas?

It is my understand that VIDEO mode is like burning a DVD VIDEO that we rent, VR mode is for editing in the DVD recorder itself and that VR mode is somewhat a problem on other systems??

Can someone help explain this a bit more so I can isolate the problem.

Hey by the way from time to time my Plextor does act up with normal DVDs (not playing, then playing -- very rare and I think is a hardware HEAT problem), but mostly it just does not play certain DVDs from the store for some reason or sometimes a media that worked last week, fails next week. Most times the experience is that the Plextor actually refuses to see the disk at all and instead sends into mouse pointer CD icon flashing hell or locks the OS.

Any help is appreciated!

7. IBL

IBL Member

SOLUTION:

Bad Media

Verbatim DVD-RW worked instead.

#1 Finalize DVD in Menu. Otherwise DVD may only play on just recorded device.
    #2 Format mode VIDEO (not VR) for a DVD that can play on most systems.

**Special Note: VIDEO mode format can not be edited like VR. Some VR formats can work on other systems, even without finalizing. Some VIDEO mode formats can also playback on other media without finalizing.

MAKE SURE BEFORE YOU BURN A COLLECTION THAT YOUR MEDIA CAN PLAY ON ANOTHER PLAYER!

NOT FAULTY DVD-RW DVD MEDIA + VIDEO MODE (NOT VR) FORMAT IN DVD RECORDER + FINALIZING DVD AT END IN MENU = GLOBAL DVD.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Great to see you got it straighted out. Media quality is one of the most critical parts of dvd burning whether it is on a tv home burner or a pc burner. That cheap/generic/low quality media can cause a whole slew of problems.Especially when you play them on different players and pc rom drives that did not produce that backup.
    Good luck

9. IBL

IBL Member

The quality of the Disc depends also how much info is on it. Bad sectors at the end and the whole disc does not finalize itself properly so doesn't read outside of the system that made it.

If this is the case with the Disc then try and burn it to the very end, not stopping it, before you finalize. Let it record to the end of the disk.

I had a few DVD-RW read and then the some fail to read on a PC in every format/finalize on/off probably because I did not burn it to the end I think.

I am also experimenting with some DVD+RW that seems to format itself (No VR or VIDEO MODE menu).

To be honest it is all a little confusing.

10. IBL

IBL Member

!!!!BURN YOUR MEDIA TO THE END!!!!

Record all your DVD media to the end in this recorder. It appears that with some media stopped before its natural length is completed, will not "finalize" (Tools -> Disc Info - Finalize; mostly needed for alternate drive playback, like PC) correctly meaning even though the disc is finalized it fails to playback on other devices. Burning your media to the end in VIDEO format and then FINALIZING helps. Read below for other features.

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

[bold]To be honest it is all a little confusing.[/bold]

That's why I let my recorder do it's own thing,lol
    I don't use it a whole lot now,mainly for all my home videos on vhs,8mm, and if i want to slap a couple of my movie backups onto 1 disc.Later

12. IBL

IBL Member

A friend happened to have a few of these he got from free from somebody who thought they would not work.

BENQ X4 DVD+RW

+RW does not ask to be formatted in VR or VIDEO. Only -RW does that.

My DVD recorder model though in a little older than 2005 though. I think 2003.