1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd recorder to substitute a VCR

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by oleg2004, Nov 11, 2004.

1. oleg2004

oleg2004 Member

Hi,

I have Dish Network PVR which allows me to keep recorded TV shows up to 36 hrs. When I'm out of space I just copy them on VCR and then delete them from PVR. Now I want to substitute VCR by DVD Recorder in the process described above. So, I'm looking for something not very expensive but which would work with Dish Network PVR 500 and would allow me to make my own dvds with lengths up to 6 hrs each. Since I'm new to this could you please recommend a couple of Recorders that I could choose from.

Thanks in advance!

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I have a LiteOn LVW-5005 that cost about $240 including shipping ... It records on both +R and -R format discs as well as VCD and SVCD ... I am very happy with it ... Here is a site with lots of recorder reviews ...

http://www.dvdrecorderworld.com/reviewlist.php

3. oleg2004

oleg2004 Member

Thanks for the info. Do you know if I can put a couple of shows/movies which I currently have on my
    dishnetwork pvr on just 1 dvd using LiteOn 5005?
    I mean, do I have an option to copy not just one show to dvd but select a couple of them from dishnetwork pvr and combine into one dvd?

4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... As with most (all?) set top disc recorders, the LVW-5005 has the ability to record at 1, 2, 4 or 6 hours to a disc ... of course, the more you pack on a single disc the worse the quality gets ...