1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Recorder With Tuner recommendations ???

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by BIGTOXY69, Jul 3, 2009.

1. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

- My old Lite-on 5005 Has Died an Ignoble death !!!! I want to replace it and not go Broke trying !!! The Cheaper DVD recorders have no tuner at all !!! Some have Digital/Analog {Both ) or one or the other ? Iam going to hook it too Basic cable service (No Converter box } so I assume I'll Need an Recorder with an Analog Tuner ? at the very least or a Dual Analog-digital tuner ? I don't want to spend over $200.00-ish or so because after having 2 different Dvd recorders I notice that they die after 2-3 years of frequent Use !!!! - I looked at the Sony RDR-GX-257 and it seems nice enough but apparanetly has just a Digital tuner ? so not sure if it would work with my basic cable Tuner wise ? SO Guys and or Gals I need your help ? What models do you recommend given my requirements ? Thanks and Happy Indepence Day Y'all

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

i Guess this is one of those Physcian Heal thyself kinda moments ? But Thanx anyway !!!!!

3. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Did you solve your problem & find a standalone DVD recorder that works for you? I hope so!! As for me I've used a Magnavox DVD recorder for about 2 years now & it still works great. About $150 or so & it has a digital/analog tuner. Put a lot of hours on it recording from a cable DVR through the rear line inout thats for sure!! Now though it's just hooked up to an outside antenna for recording over the air DTV plus playback of DVD's I've recorded & bought.

4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

bratcher-- Not yet Buddy ! I'm Waiting on A Safety award Check From work that'll Just about cover the cost of the new Stand alone/set top DVD recorder ! And Though it was promised to be on my Last payroll Check To date it has'nt appeared !!! But I'm Still Looking Samsclub Has a nice JVC Combo VHS ( P-ha-tooey !!!!) & DVD recorder !!! I'm Not really the Combo Type but the price is right !!! - The good thing is I know what I need to look for in the tuner section spo that helps !!!- IN the Meantime Though I bought a Magnavox Upconverting DVD player at Wallyworld & Ordered a HDMI cable 4 it online . Had'nt played much with it or on it yet But We will I'm sure ! I'll Keep Magnavox In mind & Thanks for your help My Friend !!! Cheers !!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  5. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Walmart has a Magnavox DVD recorder with a 160 MB hard drive thats $249 & it has a digital/analog tuner.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10104532

My local store is out of this model but it's available online. If I was shopping for a DVD recorder this is the one I'd buy for myself. Thing is after I had used my current recorder for about 6 months I bought 3 more as spares for whenever the present one wears out. Too bad the model I have is no longer available as it's a great machine. Records & plays back fine on any brand or speed of DVD-R & DVD+R I put into it. At the moment I'm using 8x Tayio Yuden that I buy online from Meritline or Supermediastore whichever one is cheaper at the time of order.

As to VCR's I've got several (some used & sone new) stored away plus I use one for playback of tapes I've recorded & own. I've kept tapes of movies that I bought later in DVD format instead of throwing them away.

Wish you the best on finding a recorder that works well for you!!

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

bratcher- THanks for the Heads up ! Sounds like a interesting Concept ! I'll Have to Check My local wallyworld To see if they Have any stocked if Not I may just orderit with Bill Me later and pay it of on a Timely basis ! Wonder if The Hard Drive is upgradeable in this one to a Bigger HDD ? Boom ,Boom , Boom Gimme Room , Gimme Room LOL!!! I'm Sure it's big enough to Start With !!! agin my friend Thanks and I'll Let you know what gives once the plan comes together !!!

7. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I see your point on the bigger hard drive idea. Bought one of those 500 gigabyte Western Digital My DVR Expander units. Unplugged the cable DVR, hooked up the external drive, plugged in the DVR & let it reboot. Result? Lots of extra space for recordings!! Came in handy for recording TCM's 30 Days Of Summer. All of it in fact. Spent awhile moving that to DVD's on the Magnavox recorder.

I really don't know if you can replace the hard drive of the model I gave you is upgradable or not. My seggestion for whatever HDD/DVD record combo you get it to move recordings to DVD so you don't run out of room on the hard drive. Thats what I used to do with the cable DVR even with the external hard drive connected to it. Never ran out of hard drive space that way.

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

bratcher- That's what I plan on doing bratcher ! I was mainly just Postulating, Ruminating , Prognosticating or whatever -ing The correct term is ? I actually Did more DVD Playing Then recording with My last recorder But I suppose it served me well all things considered ? Anyhow !!! It sounds Like a good Deal Considering The HDD and all ! I'm gonna do some thinking & a lil' more research Before I buy anything but I do appreciate Your Help & Information So Thanks once again - and I'll Let you know what I end up with when I end up with it Cheers , Ciao And have a Banner Day !!!! Just not a Bruce Banner Day LOL!!!!

Ps #1 I checked for store stock on this unit through Wallyworld's Website & They say no stores within 100 Miles carry this unit instore ? so If I decide on this'un I'll have to order online anyway or buyt somewher else ? Research -Off to the Data mine LOL!!!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  9. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I wish you the best deal on whatever DVD recorder you get. Plese let me know how it works out.

As for me the Magnavox DVD recorder is mainly playing discs now. The only thing I'm recording on it is a Christan program aired on ION called Day Of Discovery on Sunday mornings. In the fall the new season of Bones & 24 will get cecorded too off the antenna from my local Fox station.

10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

bratcheryes that sounds like a plan I'm still debating right now on cost issues With the tax it's a bit more than I anticipated but Someone may put it on sale with free shipping & no tax !! It could happen ? Well I can dream can't I ? anyhow To paraphrase an old saying "IF daddy& Grampah ain't happy then no ones happy LOL!!!!! I'm starting to get into the TV series thing myself on a limited scale Mixed bag action , sci-fi ect... Trying to find roswell season 3 cheap bought 1&2 @ wallyworld for $19.99 plan to get reaper 1&2 soon , & maybe true calling also , Then maybe dollhouse when it comes out ? I sure do like me some Eliza Dushku - Not as much as Jennifer love hewitt !!! but she's good too ! Well I'll Log in with the scoop when I get the coupe LOL! Thanx and have a good evening !!!

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

bratcher-Well ,well then what's all this ??? - I finally Get my mind made up And ordered the MagnaVox DVD Recorder with The 160 GB HDD - They marked the price down to $229.00 SO I ordered it with Dollhouse season one with Bill Me later ! fRee-shipping to store and should arrive about september week # 1 or so Will let you know how i like it once I'm running it Thanx for your help Later my friend !!!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  12. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Sound like you got a pretty good deal. Hope you enjoy your new purchase & don't forget to hook the unit to a good outside antenna if you can as rabbit ears han be hit or miss with digital signals. Or just hook it up to a cable TV box & use the line in input.

13. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

bratcher- We have Basic (No Box cable ) but the recorder has a Tuner so it's okay !!!!Again thanx for the help and guidance !!!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  14. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Basic cable will be fine & your new DVD recorder will be able to get all of the channells you subscribe to. Just program the tuner (let it find all the available channells) & your ready to record!!

15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

bratcher- yup!!! Plan on doing that ! Unit has shipped Acccording To wallyworld should arrive about a week-10 days into September !!! i would say I can hardly wait but that's kinda Cliche' and I already waited this long so whats a few more days ? may go online & see if i can Download the manual and Get a jump on the learning curve ? philips/ 7 magnavox make good products But they can be a little frustrating with menus in spanish ,french , english ect ... Atleast on their Tv's and if you mess up and hit one of the non-english languages you have to go through the whole enchilada to get back to english !!! But I'll manage regardless - 1 year of bad high school Spanish got to be useful for something right ? anyways Again thanks and I'll do a quick post once I get'r done as Greensman would say !!!! Cheers !!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  16. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Sounds great! Don't forget to usegood quality discs for your DVD recordings.....

17. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Sounds great! Don't forget to usegood quality discs for your DVD recordings.....
    - Ueah I'll Find a media that it likes and try to stay with it if at all possible !!!

18. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Good idea although my Magnavox DVD recorder seems to like almost any disc I put into it. I'd stay with name brands for best results.