1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorders with closed caption

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by gdvd, Jan 9, 2005.

1. gdvd

gdvd Member

I want to buy a DVD recorder that can record the closed captions. I want to record TV programs. I tried a ILO DVD04, and it did not have it. Then I tried CyberHome DVD CH-DVR 1500. It paritially has the closed captions(CC). It has CC in some TV channels(chnnel 8,10,3,25,..),but hasn't on some chnnels( such as channel 6,15..).
    Does anybody know which DVD recorder has CC function?
    Please give some advices.
    Thanks!

2. Mtnlily

Mtnlily Guest

I want to know this too. Does anyone know if this is an option at all. I know for sure that LiteOn does not offer this.

3. Mtnlily

Mtnlily Guest

Sorry for the double post. GDvd, did you happen to try the Cyberhome one movie channels like HBO or Starz? Does it work there?

4. gdvd

gdvd Member

I got a Pioneer DVD recorder (model DVR-220) a week ago from Wal_Mart ( $249). It has a fully-worked Closed Caption.
    You can try it.

5. gdvd

gdvd Member

I guess that CyberHome doesn't have the Closed Caption in HBO if HBO is in Channel 15, Ch 2 or Ch 6.

6. best9797

best9797 Guest

yes. pioneer 220 has cc . i also bought ilo and returned it back to walmart because this player doesn't have cc.

7. gdvd

gdvd Member

Yes. Pionner 220 has CC in almost all TV channels. But I found some problems in channel 15: the CC did not show fully correctly in some movies. I still want to try Panasonic or Sony or Philips or ....
    Any experiences with CC for any brand are welcomed.

8. Mtnlily

Mtnlily Guest

Well, I e-mailed Emerson. According to their customer support, ALL of there models will record CC. I plan on puchasing one the weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

9. gdvd

gdvd Member

Mtnlily,

Did you buy a emerson? How was its CC function? Did you try to HBO channel?My pioneer has CC problem with HBO, SHO , MAX channels.

Thanks.

10. Mtnlily

Mtnlily Guest

Hey there!
    Sorry I have not posted sooner. I was not able to find am Emerson in my price range. I did purchase a Sanyo (DRW-500). So far, it worked on MAX and Starz. I have not tried it on the others yet. Just as an FYI though. I have noticed that alot of programs in general do not have CC on Showtime. That has been my experience anyhow.

11. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

I wonder if getting something like this on a player would be more than just a firmware flash. I wonder if there is something electronic that would have to make this work. If it is something that could be added to a firmware that would be awesome to pass along to ilohelp and see if they could maybe get it in their next firmware release.

12. gdvd

gdvd Member

Hi,Mtnlily,

Thank you for your reply. I am glad that you found Sanyo works in Max etc. Now I bought Panasonic E85H too. I will compare Poineer with it in the next few weeks, then post the results for reference. If you have any new discoveries on Sanyo CC functions (for example, on HBO, any missing letters on CC), please write a few lines. I will very appreciate it.

have a nice day!
    gdvd

13. Mtnlily

Mtnlily Guest

ydkjman:
    I know when I had Cyberhome, they told me that it could be updated with the firmware, but they had no idea when they might release it.

gdvd:
    I have now tried HBO & Encore and it works just fine. I have not had any problems with broken words or anything. I have not tried Shotime yet. :)

14. gdvd

gdvd Member

Mtnlily,

Thank you. It is good for you to buy a Sanyo. I bought a Panasonic E85 with 120GB hard disk a few days ago. I still try it. So far it works Ok with CC, no broken word. I will continue to watch it.Thank you for your infomation about Sanyo CC function.

15. booser108

booser108 Guest

The Emerson EWR10D4 captures and displays closed captioning. It is a little picky about media (wouldn't record on my Memorex 8x DVD-R but would record on Memorex 4x, DVD-RW 2x, and Maxell 8x), but is pretty good beyond that. Just wish it had a three hour recording mode instead of 1 hr, 2hr, 4hr, etc. mode.

$160 at Wally Mart