1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorders

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Dave35, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Dave35

Dave35 Member

I am looking in to getting a Dvd Recorder Deck and have a few questions.

1-What make and model right now for the consumer is the best out there?

2-Is it possible for me to add chapters to my dvds either during or after the recording process is over?

3-What features have yet to be offered on Dvd Recorders aimed at the consumer market?

I'm assuming that you cannot yet add a running commentary over some home videos.Or are not able to copy a movie dvd to a blank Dvd-R in 5.1. Digital Sound.

Any help would be grateful.Thanks.

2. juca39

juca39 Guest

I own a Panasonic recorder which I think is great. It can burn DVD RAM and DVD-R. DVD ram has the advantage to play the DVD while recording. When burning DVD-R you can finalize your DVD which adds chapters randomly. You cannot play DVD+R or +RW. With some Panasonic recorders you can also have a hard disk, and some other goodies.
    Philips recorders will burn DVD+R /+RW and I know it has better editing capabilities. You can set up menus and chapters.
    For what I red in reviews. Panasonic is a more stable recorder.
    Sony has its own recorder which burns both DVD+R and DVD-R.
    There are many models and brands. So take your choice.
    I am very happy with my Panasonic recorder and if I had to change it I would buy a new and more Advance Panasonic.

3. Dave35

Dave35 Member

So you can "finalize" your dvd,but the chapters are random?Does that mean that you cannot making markings(chapters)where you would like?If that is the case it does seem kinda silly.The big attraction about dvds is the fact that you can access chapters.But if this is only done randomly the chances of chapters being where you want is pretty slim.

Curious about the philips Dvd Recorder.Can you tell me anything more about that?

4. juca39

juca39 Guest

With the Panasonic model that I have, that is the case. You cannot set the marks of your chapters where you want. The machine does it by itself. However, if you want to find a spot in the DVD is very fast, because if you advance chapeters one by one (they are apart for about 5 minutes)it will only take about a minute or so to find your spot.
    The Philip recorder, which I don't own. In the reviews, it says that you can make your own menus and you can set the markers where you want, but for what I red, some Philip recorders are very picky with some blank DVD's and wont recognize them. Also when finalizing the DVD's, many people complained about machine freezing, and loosing the recorded DVD. It is not my experience. That is what I red.
    Panasonic as said before. And this is the main reason I bought the machine is that you can play while recording the DVD RAM which, for me, is a magnificent feature. So you can watch a movie while recording something else in the same DVD. Also DVD RAM can be recorded thousands of times, many more than RW DVD's. I use the recorder mainly to record sports or TV series which I cannot watch live. By the way, the quality of the recording is perfect.
    I bought my recorder 18 months ago. Maybe the new models would do what you want. Check www.reviews.cnet.com and find out.
    By the way, not any recorder yet, has digital input so you cannot record 5.1 Dolby Digital. And I think they will never do.

5. piano632

piano632 Regular member

If you are recording on a DVD-R or DVD+R (non-erasable discs) you cannot go back later and add chapter marks. Most recorders just insert a chapter mark every 5 min.

Technically it is possible to edit material and insert markers on DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs, but in order to do so you must record the disc in VR mode which is not compatible with the vast majority of DVD players. They will only play back on the recorder.

If you want to have nice menus, commercials edited out, chapter marks wherever you want them - you have to do it on a computer. (Actually, there is one recorder that can do all this - the Pioneer PRV-LX1 - but it costs about $4,000 !) Of course, you can always record on -RW or +RW discs on the recorder then do the editing and authoring on a computer as I do.

If you are going to get a recorder, I would consider JVC, Pioneer/Sharp, LiteOn before a Panasonic or Philips. Panasonic uses -RAM discs which most computer drives can't read. Philips machines are prone to errors and breakdowns, though they manage to work for some people.

6. Dave35

Dave35 Member

Really good stuff guys!

Thanks alot for this great information.

7. juca39

juca39 Guest

You may also consider the option of buying a recorder with Hard Drive. Record your program to your hard drive and then you can edit it(limited). Cut out commercials, segments, credits, etc. of a recording and then record your dvd from the edited file of your recorder HD. Finish the disc, and it will have chapters. You will have a clean recording with chapters and a very good quality picture. No menus though.

8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I use a Lite-On LVW5005 'set top' DVD recorder. It has a few limitations such as no editing, however, it was very reasonably priced ... about $241 delivered ... it does have a neat feature in that it will record on almost anything round with a hole in the middle ... DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW and it will even record VCD and SVCD on CD-R/RW discs ... a pretty nice feature!

Here is an article on the recorder:
    http://www.cdrlabs.com/articles/index.php?articleid=29

By the way, piano632, what software do you use for editing on your computer ... I'm interested in doing editing on my computer also ...

9. piano632

piano632 Regular member

Does it work with donuts? (sorry, couldn't resist)

I use Womble MPEG-VCR to edit. I think it costs $70 but its probably the best MPEG editor out there right now. I then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to make the menus/chapters/etc. then burn the disc. Actually, you can do the editing with TMPGEnc too, just that it doesn't allow you to cut on exact frames like Womble does.

10. muse2

muse2 Member

Hi, I am new to this site and unsure if this is right contact start. I have a borrowed Panasonic E50 and an unopened Panasonic E-75?Vcr built in. I am hearing the new line of panasonic is impossible to do what I need but the older ones will.
    I want to be able to make backup copies of videotapes and many of the newer ones have copyright protection(macrovision or?) The recorder displays"cannot copy". I have tried to find out about filters (Sima CT-2 etc) and copyright removers (Facet Video makes this @$100.00). You hook these between the source and recorder. I hear all kinds of good and bad stories about this stuff. Does anyone know anything about a surefire way to be able to copy copyrighted tapes to a machine that "senses": the incoming copyrighted signal and will not copy(like Panasonic.Copying DVD would be a bonus. Appreciate any help. Muse2