1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/recorders

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by george22, Jan 4, 2005.

1. george22

george22 Guest

Hello, I want to purchase a DVD burner to replace my old Plextor 12A CD burner.
    I have seen articles on Dual layer machines, but not sure what I should be looking for.
    Two questions, will a DVD dual layer burner also do CDs and what should I look for in this. Another one, anybody any suggestions? I'm npt lazy, just bewildered.
    Thanks

2. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

hello george22

well prices vary so much these days.
    if you spend about $100.00 you'll get a dual layer burner inway. the little difference in price i would spend now and later maybe use the dual layer
    when the prices go down on dual layer disks, they are about $10.00 each now

it's also according to what you want to do and what set up you have.

as for me i use a HP 630I dvd burner, which is available at Wal-Mart for $100.00, they also have a HP
    530I for $79.00 the only differance in the two are the burning speed, which is really not nessasary
    beause you shouldn't burn DVD's faster than 4X fast anyway, beause it can cause play problems in dvd players, from what i have read and learned on afterdawn formus.

i bought the HP 630I mainly because i have a HP computer with XP operating system,it installed quick
    and the computer reconized it soon as i booted it back up the first time.

most and the HP is a all in one combo does everything
    you want in one package.

they also have a LiteOn DVD/CD Combo Burner combo with Nero software for about $100.00 aswell

far as software i went with the "FREE" software

called DVD Shrink and DVD Decypter, this has worked
    very well for me i have backed up about 100 dvd's
    with one or two coasters.

asfar as Media goes i have been using Ritek Ridata
    G04"s everyone talks about here aswell.

they are available at www.allmediaoutlet.com for about $40.00 per 100 with free ship also.

hope i could help. my 2 cents

freedom

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If you really want the dual-layer burning capability, then look at the NEC 3500A and Plextor PX-716A. I've seen them as low as $60 after rebate. Since D/L DVDs are still in the $5-$6 range (whereas DVD-5s are less than 30 cents), I could care less about that feature. By the time D/Ls are as cheap as 30 cents, Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs will be mainstream.

4. george22

george22 Guest

Thanks fellows, I'll check out the models you have quoted, but will probably wait a bit before jump[ing.