1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Red Pro

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sdman, Oct 1, 2004.

1. sdman

sdman Member

Have any of you advanced users used DVD red pro? If so please let me have some feedback on how you rate the product. Its used in connection with a dvd recorder.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I have never used it, but as long as you are not trying to make a copy of a commercial, CSS protected DVD then you should have no trouble with it.

3. sdman

sdman Member

http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm this is the link It says I can copy dvd to dvd with css. So I hope it works I need to backup my dvd collection for my kids to use, they can trash these and I wont have to worry about my originals. By the way I am in no way trying to push this product on ppl. This link is for informational purpose only.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi sdman, I have a friend in another state that has the cheaper RED device. But he uses it to copy DVD movies to VHS tape. The RED unit is made to remove Macrovision copyguard. Like Fasfrank said, I don't know if it will remove CSS protection. Why not e-mail their Customer Support and see what the say about it. I read the add link and it says it will work DVD to DVD. I'm guessing they mean between 2 stand alone units. Best to ask them direct.

Hi Frank.

Jerry
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again sdman, I forgot to welcome you to AfterDawn so Welcome!

Now I'd like to badmouth this device:

The more I look at this thing the more I think it is a piece of crap. Look at that cheesy case for example. And then this:

I mean hyping the fact that it has amplifying ICs, etc, is like bragging to my friends that my truck has an engine and it actually came with tires and a steering wheel. Impedance matching blocks?? Whoopee! This thing is about as advanced as my alarm clock.

Crappy advertising not withstanding, I did not see one single mention of CSS anywhere. If you saw CSS mentioned, please tell me.

What else can I say. This company's advert seems to operate under the "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit" principle.

Note the great links at the top of the page. Clicking on one just moves you down on the same page. What a site!

I honestly think that if you bought this thing to copy commercial DVDs you would be screwed. What good removing the macrovision would do is beyond me. How many DVDs have just Macrovision? Now VCR tapes are another matter entirely. It seems that this thing ought to work fine for that.

Hi Jerry!

Cheers,
    Frank

6. sdman

sdman Member

Yea thats what I was thinking about the dazzling it up and bullshiting. I emailed them and am waiting for a response back. I emailed them previously and there CS was quick and gave me some answers. Lets see what happens next. Btw thanks for taking the time to reply and giving me both of your inputs I will be definately hanging out here :) If this product doesnt work ,then I will go the pc route where I know for certain I can make backups of my dvd collection.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I built a macrovision remover box about 10 years ago and still use it when needed. It works great doing copies of VHS to VHS movies. It also makes great VHS copies from a DVD movie. The first time I used it to copy a DVD to VHS I couldn't believe the quality of the taped copy. So I do know removing the macrovision is possible with a unit like the RED device. I don't think that little RED EGG can remove CSS. Let us know what customer service gives you for an answer.

Jerry

8. sdman

sdman Member

Well guys and gals I just got DVD Red Pro It will burn a VHS to a DVD great. It will prolly burn older DVD movies to a DVD-r that dont have css protection. I havent tested that yet. But I know for a fact it doesnt burn movies w/css. Their ad is kinda misleading I give them a 5 out of a 10 point scoring sytem. BTW cs never responded to my email if their product removes css, go figure.Also I would like to say like in previous posts I use this product for backing up my own movies. Bought and paid for. Thanks for your replies.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  9. markojay

markojay Member

I purchased a DVD Red Pro a couple of weeks ago (delivered in less than a week to Canada from Israel) and am very pleased with it. I copy vhs to dvd and dvd to dvd with it. So farI have transfered about 100 movies with copywrite protection and have found zero problems resulting from the Red Pro.

I have not tried it yet from two stand-alone devices but have been going through my HP burner to the computer.