1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd regions

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ddpdaver, Feb 6, 2005.

1. ddpdaver

ddpdaver Member

Hi, I am trying to play a dvd from scotland and I am in canada. If I put this in my player or burner will it mess it up like a rumour I heard? Does dvdshrink convert it to my region whatever that is?

any help would be great, thanks

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

For your dvd-rom/rw drive to play that disc,you can go through device manager and change your region to that scottland dvd. You may be only change it about 4 times,so be careful. You may be able to get a hacked region free firmware.

Because that dvd is from scottland,it is likely to be in PAL format. Over here in north america,region1, we use NTSC-i believe .

I haven't messed with any of those things,only read threads on them. If you can get that dvd ripped to your hard drive,dvd shrink will allow you to make those copies region free.

I don't know if that helps you out any,good luck

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  3. ddpdaver

ddpdaver Member

so by putting it in my computer it won't mess with any settings automatically?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I don't know if it will mess anything up. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can tell us.

5. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Your Scottish DVD will be region 2, your region is, I believe, the same as the US, region 1.
    I live in the UK and frequently have the reverse problem, as several US series are shown on cable over here, but with no following region 2 DVD release, so I have to buy region 1 disks from the US.
    First, don't try to play the disk in our PC as some player software may auto-configure and you will have a limited number of changes allowed. Also your DVD drive would have to be region changed to play region 2, again with a limited number of changes allowed. So when the prompt comes up asking you if you want play the disk, just cancel, it is possible to get software to hack both of the change counters if you want to go that route.

Personally I use DVDecrypter to rip the disks, you don't have to change any hardware or software region settings with this software. Once ripped, you can use Shrink in the normal way, and Decrypter can handle RCA protection as well. The final disk will be region free and will play on anything, or if you wished it could be made region 1.

If you just want to play the original disks on your set-top, many of these can be made region free (or any region you wish), with a remote hack.

As for video standards, we're PAL over here, but virtually all modern TVs play NTSC also, so I've never had a problem.

6. ddpdaver

ddpdaver Member

higgsbun,

so what you are saying is if I use dvddecrypter I can burn it after on dvdshrink and it should play on any player here in region 1? no damage done to my computer?

7. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Yep, DVDecrypter will strip the region coding, macrovison and UOPs restrictions, I think the default output is region 0 (ie will play on any region player), but you can specify a region if you want. You can then use Shrink or Nero Recode to compress the files for single DVD burning, Recode had a colour fill for unwanted content that is slightly better than Shrink's still frame option. If you want to retain the full quality, use DVDFab to split the files for burning onto two DVDs.

All with no risk to the region settings of your drive or player software.