1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD ReMake Guide Finally Available

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by vurbal, Aug 30, 2004.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

After promising it for the last couple of months, my first DVD ReMake guide is now up:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvdremake_tutorial.cfm

It's not exactly what I described previously. That will actually be in a second guide. This one covers a backup of Once Upon A Time In America (R1) from ripping through exporting the project from DRM. Now that I have the basics available, I can concentrate on more advanced topics in the next guide and hopefully make it much more useful. If you have any questions about the first guide (or about related procedures with other discs) feel free to ask them here and hopefully somebody will be able to help out.

2. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Thanks vurbal. A very fine guide indeed.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Thanks vurbal. It looked so good, I wanted a reference copy. So, I saved it in PDF and now have a copy for offline reference.

4. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The guide has plenty to work with for a while.
    Happy editing.
    Thanks Vurbal.

5. vurbal

No problem ;) I've asked dimad to look through it to make sure there aren't any errors. This is by far the toughest software I've attempted to write a guide for, which is really the reason it took as long as it did. Not that it's difficult software, but understanding it well involves an understanding of some concepts that are difficult to explain. I'm debating doing a guide for Mark's Tray DVD Player before my next DRM guide so I can keep things as simple as possible in the DRM guides. There will already be more DVD Shrink usage involved, which makes me think I should have done a guide for that as well, but I have to sleep some time.

I might also do a third DRM guide later for some miscellaneous tasks, like bypassing AR selection menus, making discs that play the movie right away start with the main menu instead, and splitting discs.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Vurbal

Great job on your DVD remake guide, especially when one considers the variations of structure from one DVD to the next. I also liked the use of DVD Shrink as more than just a ripping tool but as a serious diagnostic and pre-edit tool. I’ll be looking forward to Part II and I should get to it right after everybody else does.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

vurbal, I will also chime in and say great guide, you're right, writing a guide for it looks a lot tougher than actually using it. lol

I think that's an excellent idea for Mark's Tray player, that little sucker is one handy tool and I'm sure i am not even using it to 1/2 of it's capability.

And now, I'm officially subscribed to this thread.

8. dimad

dimad Regular member

Indeed very nice vurbal. And rather accurate as well :)

The only thing I've found so far is that it is impossible to restore once you've exported. It is not exactly right: "edited" flag gets reset and "restore" items are grayed out, but... just do a hide of the block/vts or whatever and voila you can restore to original :)

Same with deleted buttons. Yes one can't just edit them back, but it is always possible to restore block - all buttons and cuts will be undone.

The thing worth mentioning: some operations can't be undone (like stripping angles) as DvdReMake changes DVD structure and navigation to keep modified disk valid.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

dimad

It's been a while, thanks for the information.

10. vurbal

Thanks for the corrections. When I get the chance I'll update the guide with them. The trick for restoring blocks that seem unrecoverable is particularly interesting. Now I just need to get some more research finished so I can get done with the next installment. I'd have to say that I've probably learned more about DVD structure from using DRM than I ever guessed I would, and I'm sure I've only scratched the surface.

11. jaycute

jaycute Member

how do you make snapshots of dvdremake?

Thanks alot.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

hey vurbal, do you still plan to make a Mark's Tray Player guide?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  13. vurbal

Yes I do (and it's Mark's Tray Player) but right now I'm trying to get some DV footage finally encoded. I hope to have it finished within the next couple of weeks, but don't take that as a sign it will be.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL,LOL, I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone, guess what his name is, yep! Dave! LOL

Thanx for the info, i promise I will not hold you to it, anytime you get it will be fine.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yet another guide? I think that Mark's Tray Player could be incorporated into the Remake guide since that's the reason that most of us use it.

16. vurbal

It could, but I tried to do that at one point and it started getting too long. Yes you read that right. I said I thought it was too wordy for me ;) I also need to find a good place to download it because the author won't let AD host it (long story). There's a link from the author on DVD-Lab's forums, but it seems to be dead.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Vurbal

I see what you mean, I couldn't find an active link anywhere.

18. 64026402

64026402 Active member

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think so Mark's Tray DVD PLayer Professional is a freeware player that we use to check the quallity of our DVDremake edits. Unlike PowerDVD and WinDVD, if it encounters an that might make the DVD unplayable in a standa alone it won't continue playing and you'll know that there's a flaw in your edit.

20. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004