1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD resolution is awful

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by textrip, Mar 5, 2007.

1. textrip

textrip Member

Help please. I have been trying to capture my mini dv recordings onto the computer then burn them on a DVD (kids, soccer, b-ball, all home-made stuff). I can run the camcorder directly to the 32" TV and it looks fine but when I capture the movie and burn my DVD it looks like crap. The resolution is awful. What am I missing? I am using Nero software for the burner, but couldn't get it to capture from my camcorder, so it is captured by Windows Moviemaker, then I used Nero to burn the DVD from the .wmv file.

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sounds like a software problem. Have you tried Nero Vision to convert the WMV to DVD compliant files? InterVideo has some good capture and recording software, Creator 3 and Recorder. http://www.intervideo.com

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  3. textrip

textrip Member

I checked InterVideo and it doesn't say it supports my camcorder. I tried Nero again (several times) and it just captures the image in a very small (340x1??) frame. I don't understand why the captured video is so small. Thanks for the help. Any more ideas?

4. ebega

ebega Regular member

What kind of connection are you using with your capture? USB? Firewire? If you are using USB, that could be your problem, try using firewire if you are not already using it. Just a side note, I have had some great captures using Pinnacle Studio 10.

5. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

6. textrip

textrip Member

Thanks so much for all of your help. I am using a USB connection. I will try firewire, I think by the name I should be able to figure out what that is. Also the capture software all came with my hardware (Windows came with it's capture software, camcorder came with Pixela and the dvd burner came with Nero) so I know I could do better with the software. I looked at my manual and it says that the resolution on a movie is 320x240. Am I wasting my time trying to get a good picture from those DV tapes if that is all I can get?

7. ebega

ebega Regular member

Hate to say this, but yes, you are probably wasting your time trying to get a decent picture from a USB stream of 320x240. Get a firewire cable (AKA IEEE 1394) from Newegg, there may be cheaper places but they have very good prices and I always recommend them because of the great service they offer. Then use Nero Vision to capture the stream after you connect with your cable, the difference will be night and day. Hope this helps.

Firewire at Newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Description=ieee+1394&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all

edit: You are also going to need to make sure that your PC can accept a firewire connection. If you don't have a firewire port on your PC, just get a PCI Firewire card and install it into your computer. Your camcorder probably accepts a 4 pin connection and many firewire PCI cards will accept 6 pin and/or 4 pin (some even 9 pin) connection. This will tell you what kind of cable you need.

i.e. If you get a PCI card that accepts 6 pin connections and your camcorder accepts a 4 pin connection, you will need a 4-pin to 6-pin cable. Sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence by trying to cover every detail, I just know that this kind of info would've helped me save some time had someone covered everything for me :) ....anyways, hope this all helps and keep us updated.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

IMHO ebega, A most excellent reply!