1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rip speed help

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by auditech, Sep 28, 2004.

1. auditech

auditech Member

Hello all!

I frequently use DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. My question is that usually DVD Decrypter typically takes about 10 minutes to rip a DVD. Recently it has been taking 45 minutes!!! Is there something that I could have done accidentally?? I never changed anything in the settings.

Also, DVD shrink is my favorite program to use but it is a bit on the slow side. Anything I can do to increase ripping speed??

CPU Specs:
    AMD Athlon 3200+
    512mb Pc3200 (dual channel)
    Plextor 712A

Usually DVDshrink takes around 20-24 minutes to rip.
    DVD decrypter usually takes 10 minutes but will not compress the movie.

I would appreciate any help or advise you guys can give.

2. auditech

auditech Member

anyone? I would appreciate any help or knowledge you veterans can pass along. Thanks

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If your rip times suddenly increase the first thing I'd check is your DMA settings. Here's a link that explains how:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

You answered your own question - Shrink takes longer because it has to compress the film :)

4. auditech

auditech Member

Thanks very much. I happen to have a SATA Hard Drive and the options are different. I read the link that you sent me to but there are differences when it comes down to the settings. Maybe there is something similar but I didn't see anything about PIO or DMA in the settings of my hard drive.

Thank you again for your time and input.

5. auditech

auditech Member

never-mind, I am a dumbass. I found the controller for the drive and it is set to ultra-dma. So, I guess I am not really having a problem. maybe the last disc I ripped just happened to be really data intensive?? Anyway, thanks again.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

A Plextor SATA drive. Nice, nice............