1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd ripping problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pk0912, Mar 9, 2004.

1. pk0912

pk0912 Member

Hi, i'm trying to backup LOTR-two towers disc 2, but when ripping with dvd decryptor it only gets 2 14% and stops on one of the vob files. It keeps on trying to rip it but nothing happens and i have to cancel. also tried with smartripper. do you think the disc is scratched? or any i do something foolish? (though i have rippen plenty dvds before ok). any help appreciated. thanks..

2. movie_777

movie_777 Member

I think there might be something wrong with the DVD itself. When I have tried to back up some of my more scratched DVDs it will hang trying to get over the errors and after so many tries it tells me it could not decrypt the current file and then asks if I want to retry or abort the process.

Hope this helps.

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Bad disc. Grab some Brasso and polish the heck out of it, then clean it thoughly. You can finish it up with either MaGuires Swirl Remover wax or some Armor All, or just toss it.

4. pk0912

pk0912 Member

thanks for the replies... i figured it was the disc, but im not gonna toss it, i'm gonna drop kick it.. acceptable?

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

My buddy bought one of those little motorized thingamabobs that polishes scratches off DVDs and seems to work rather well for all but the deepest scratches.

He ended up buying it because he gets a lot of used discs from Blockbuster which are always scratched to some degree or another :)

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Toothpaste with Borax is good but not quite as violently as MysticE might suggest -

On a smooth padded surface, using a soft cotton cloth and rubbing firmly from the center straight out to the edge can remove many light to mild scratches :)

Pete