1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD ripping to video edit

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by mattador, Aug 24, 2003.

1. mattador

mattador Member

I need some help in the steps to take, the programs to use, and the process it takes, to take files from a DVD and get it into a format that would allow me to edit them in Adobe Premiere 6.0. thanks a lot.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Are the files from a copyrighted disc? If so you need to get DVD Decrypter to upload the files into a folder on your hard disc. Premier should then recognise them. If the disc is not copyrighted then just go to 'my computer' then open the drive the disc is in (or click 'explore'), then highlight the Video TS folder and then click 'copy' and select the folder you want the video files to upload to.

3. mattador

mattador Member

I downloaded the DVD Decrypter and decrypted what i wanted to edit, and I can view the section of it in Windows Media Player, but there is no sound, and Premiere still doesn't recognize it. It is a VOB file and there is also an IFO file in the folder where i decrypted it to. I am still very new at this, so if you could help I would really appreciate it.

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Obviously the disc is a copyrighted movie so you may not be able to edit this with Premier or other video editing software. If you just want certain parts of the disc i.e to cut out extras you don't want you can use DVD Shrink. This will also upload the video files to your hard drive without sound loss, and enable you to compress the files you want onto one disc. Check in the settings of Decrypter that the sound is not left out. Do you have a DVD player on your PC? If so this should be set as the default player and so the files will play automatically with that and not with Windows Media Player. If you are serious about editing then you will probably have to convert the DVD files to MPEG before Premier will recognise them. You could try this: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/tmpgenc.cfm