1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD rips all of a sudden stopped working!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by norverna, Dec 2, 2004.

1. norverna

norverna Member

HI all,

I have been ripping DVD's for some time now and used the same media (Datawrite Yellow Ritek G04 4x) I have around 120 that have been sucsessfull, now I have bought a new batch and around 3 out of 10 have worked???
    Anyone have any suggestions? I have not changed any software, but I did have a Virus which seems to have gone now.

Is it wise to Format and start again?

I can't waste anymore discs!

Any help will be gratefully recieved!

Thanks

Alan.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

I'd try cleaning up the system first. Download these apps, they're free and do a good job. Ad Aware, Spybot, and Spysweeper. You should be able to find those at CNet downloads. Run all three. This pack is one of the best combos. It's been shown that the individual programs will sometimes each pick up items the others won't. If not all are on CNet, you can google and find them. Spysweeper is retail, but you can get a free full function trial. Be sure to run your anti virus scan and do that periodically. You might want to try Webroot's Window Washer trial as well.

Formats are usually only necessarty for corrupted or damaged operating systems and/or damaged registries.

It's not unheard of to get a bad batch of media; though Ritek does have a good reputation, at least in North America.

It would have been nice if you'd mentioned the software being used.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Thought I'd mention, the newer GO4 Riteks are said not to be the same dye and are said to possibly be inferior to the older media. Don't know if that comes into play here or not.

4. norverna

norverna Member

Thanks for the promp reply!
    My software and method are as follows - Decrypter-Shrink-Decrypter.

I have used all of the apps you mention and have defraged and done a disk clean up!

aL

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, if nothing else, the virus should be gone for good. How is the recording process working now?

Normally you're using Decrypter a bit too much with the Shrink. Shrink does an excellent job of decrypting for itself and rarely needs Decrypter for that. Decrypter is the backup here. I use the Nero to burn for Shrink, another preference. Out of curiosity, did you upgrade to the Shrink 3.2? This would be a good time to delete the current Shrink version you have and do a clean installation. Program files do tend to get corrupted after a while and doing a clean installation often saves a lot of diagnosis time. Do the Decrypter to. Be sure to reboot before and after these installations. Nero has a full trial for 30 day periods (from when they put it on the net, not when you put it on your PC). There is currently no limit to the downloads. If you're the curious sort, you may find you like Nero. Plus you're not limited to using ISO files. Not a problem for you now unless you start using some other recording apps. Nero also has Recode2, a good recording and encoding app, sorta like shrink. You decrypt with Decrypter and Recode2 does the encode and burn. Let us know how you're coming along.