1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rips

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by hosscrop, Jan 20, 2003.

1. hosscrop

hosscrop Guest

Well I think I'm losing the plot with this dvd ripping ,ripping a simple 1hr 40 minute film down to 2 dvd's
    How come Ive seen LOTR 2 TOWERS on one dvd with full dolby digital soundtrack thats a minute under 3 hours , so who's got the tricks up their sleeves ?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

3. hosscrop

hosscrop Guest

Yes that I can understand but the picture quality is spot on DVD
    How about VBR ?

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

There is "perfect quality" and "perfect quality". LOTR on one DVD-5 disc would be considered by many to be "perfect quality", while some of us are happy only to see it split over two DVD-9s (taking 14gigs only for the movie, without extras).

And still, DVD-Video is not even close to what can be considered as a perfect quality. The next generation of "DVD" which will use blue-laser discs and way much higher bitrates will be something around 2 to 5 times better in terms of bitrate/resolution combination -- and we're still far off from the original movie quality.

5. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

I'm pleased to read that picture quality is still improving, it will compensate for my failing eyesight !!!

HomerJ