1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-ROM acting feaky..

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fab5_dv, Jan 7, 2005.

1. fab5_dv

fab5_dv Guest

After a few days of sampling a few products and making successful copies (Thanks!), my OEM DVD-ROM is behaving different. It doesn't load the DVD or give me the XP prompt anymore -as to what do with it. When I then open the DVD-Rom drive it has the Video_TS file, and the VOB files with-in that. Shrink can still get it going, and the burn process still works, WinMP can play it but only if I go file/open/Ddrive/video_ts to the DVD drive and ask it to open all files, but it won't auto recognize and play any DVD or see it as a DVD (only files). Do I have software copmatibility issues? I'm using Nero 6.6, and have Shrink, DVDDecriptor, DVD43free, 1Clickdvd-trail installed, and I have'nt found a virus. Tests show the DVD drive to be working properly, but it's just not behaving right.. -What to do? Is there a setting to fix?? -Freaky..

2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Open My Computer, right click on ROW drive, select properties and select Auto Play tab. You can handle it from there.

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

yes there is a fix for this . it is a little tricky so i hope you are up to the task . so here we go.

1 we want to make sure the autoplay feature is enabled in the registry . follow these steps .

a. click start, and than click run.
    b. type regedit, and than click ok .
    c. in the registry editor, locate the following registry key . HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\cdrom
    d. in the right pane, go to step g if the value for autorun is 1
    e. if the value for autorun is 0 , right-click autorun, and than click modify
    f. in the edit dword value dialog box, type 1 under value data , and than click ok .
    g. a value of 0xb5 in the following registry key turns off the autorun feature for cds . HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\exploer\nodrivetypeautorun .
    you must set the hexadecimal value to 91 to enable the autorun feature .
    h. on the file menu, click exit .

good luck and i hope this helps . this isnt easy for someone that really doesnt know what they are doing but once you do it , it seems easy after that .

4. fab5_dv

fab5_dv Guest

I will save your thread for future use. But today, out of the blue the drive is behaving normally again. Dang computers:) -I'm back to fun again.. A friend sent me an article on auto play issues, if I see something good I'll post it here.. Thank you for your help! -Dv

5. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

My PC pulls some weird stuff sometimes. Most of the time it some new software installation. It can be a pain to straighten out.
    Good Luck burning

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  6. fab5_dv

fab5_dv Guest

What I did do however was to replace my new external MadDog DVDBurner with an enternal model because this device was a 2.0 USB and my machine was 1.1 and MadDog didn't recommend a pci upgrade. After the drivers were installed by XP I re-flashed the latest firmware, and things apear to be working great. I'm glad I went enternal on the drive. Maybe this had something to do with it..?

Here's the articles on auto play issues Ifound maybe they can help someone:
    http://www.winntmag.com/Article/ArticleID/43811/43811.html
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330135
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817357