1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Rom Book Type setting has a stranglehold on me

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ricsalt, Aug 21, 2004.

1. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

I have several "new issues" that are bugging me so I was hoping with alittle help from the members these might be "demystified"

1) The buzzword of late is to "change to dvd-rom book type setting" to ensure your dvd's are read by the most players. I have seen variously that a "utility" can be used to do this.
    I have updated to Nero version 6.3.1.20. This revision now supports book type settings. I tried to "search" in Nero but am not finding any reference to "Book Types" probably because the guide is for version 6.3.1.17

2) The new Nero version also supports burning DL disks
    I'd like to know more about question (1) before burning a DL disc since some disks I have burned don't play in all players.

3) Firmware upgrades- My Sony DRX-700UL has a firmware update which according to the Sony site allows the burner to recognize "cheaper" media. I would like to upgrade to VY05 but am very leery of doing so.
    Among the precautions SONY suggests are the following:
    "Uninstall any packet writing software, such as [DLA], [DirectCD], [B's CLiP] etc, from the PC". I have already dumped DLA(Sonic)to give "Shrink and Decrypter" room to move but am not familiar with the others. I don't think I have these others but I don't want to damage my drive doing something stupid.

"If you are using the DRU-700A, disable [DMA setting] in Windows before executing firmware update. For details, refer to [Help and Support] in Windows." I looked at the IDE Channels 1 & 2. Are they saying to change from DMA enabled to PIO..That's the only change available.

Sorry if this is overly long but one thing leads to another.

Richard

2. erdoke

erdoke Guest

1. Older SONY DVD burners do not support book type setting. I do not know that it has changed in newer drives (actually they are Lite-On burners which are able to set BT), but maybe the FW is set to automatically change book type to DVD-ROM when burning a DL disc. That is the case with Pioneer DVR-108, and meybe this is the answer for Q #2 as well.

I suggest to try a more DVD burner specific forum or site. cdr-info.com?

3. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Thanks erdoke- the more one learns the better.

From what I've read, changing the book type to DVD-Rom makes your discs almost like factory pressed. I'd like to use this feature or any other that whats the media universally readable.

4. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Sorry- I meant "that makes the media universally readable".

5. erdoke

erdoke Guest

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

1. In general, if you want to make sure your DVD+R plays on older standalones, which may or may not be able to read the +R format, you have to change the booktype. If you're only worried about your player, you should find out what it supports. You can refer to the player's manual or use the database at videohelp.com (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers), but in the end the only way to truly tell with some players is to try it out yourself. As previously mentioned, other Sony models have no support for bitsetting, and I'd be surprised if yours is any different. Sony just likes to do things their own way, and it seems to take loss of billions of dollars (or a perceived profit of the same magnitude) to make them change their mind on the design of anything.

2. I don't think there's any definitive answers yet on how to find out whether your player can read dual layer discs, but I suspect that bitsetting will allow some players to play them that wouldn't be able to otherwise. Since reading a burned single layer DVD actually requires a little more work on the part of a player, it's conceivable that reading a burned dual layer disc is even harder. The rings of data are closer together and there's an additional layer of material for the laser to pass through before being reflected back. Even keeping all that in mind, I have to believe that, except for poor players (or ones that are already having problems), it's likely that just about all standalones are physically capable of reading them. Unfortunately there's really not enough data to go much further than educated guesses, so don't take this as any sort of expert advice, and don't believe anyone who claims to be an expert.

3. It's important that you at least resign yourself to the fact that you'll probably have to flash your firmware eventually. The warnings and horror stories of damaged hardware resulting from a flash should always be in the back of your mind when you do it, but they really aren't that likely if you're following the instructions to the letter. It also doesn't hurt to have a UPS with a line conditioner to make sure there's constant, regular power to the PC during a flash.

However, that doesn't mean there's any reason to flash your drive just because a new firmware version is released. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In other words, if you're not having problems you shouldn't automatically flash your drive just because you can. On the other hand, if you do run into problems, it should be something you consider.

As far as the instructions you're quoting, you're understanding correctly that disabling DMA means setting it to PIO.

7. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

I'm very grateful to "erdoke" and "vurbal" for their input. I am now more knowledgeable on these topics which will help me in my decision making.

8. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome :)