1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/ROM compatibility

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by RAIDRMN, Apr 9, 2007.

1. RAIDRMN

RAIDRMN Member

Does anyone know where there is a list of compatable dvd/rom drives for the Xbox I have had problems with the Samsung drives not opening and with the Thomson drive not reading some discs will any drive work or do I need a specific model or do you need to flash a drive with a particular firmware so that it will work ?

2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

if you want it to boot original xbox games then you are going to need a thompson, samsung or philips xbox dvd drive hands down, pc dvd-roms work, but only for backup games. and you also have to modify the drive to fit into the xbox. just buy a brand new thompson drive and tweak the laser, drive is perfect and cheap. and if your wondering all drives are plug and play.

3. RAIDRMN

RAIDRMN Member

So if my Xbox is modified any drive will work ?

4. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

just look at the different types of XBOX DVD DRIVES and get the best one... there is one model that works for all media disks

but from what i hear you can use another dvd drive as long as you get a lens that is for xbox and install it

i would just get a xbox dvd drive to save all the hastle

5. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

what i am saying is, you have to modify a pc dvd-rom to fit into xbox. your way better off to just buy a new xbox dvd drive. cheaper and way hassle free!! PLUG AND PLAY is your friend. if the drive is brand new it should read anything you throw at it. besides cd-r. xbox drives hate cd-r