1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD ROM DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZING DVDS

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by F1118, Sep 2, 2003.

1. F1118

F1118 Member

I installed a DVD ROM drive in a computer that has Windows 98 SE. When I insert a DVD into the drive I hear a clicking noise for a few seconds and than nothing. When I go to "MY COMPUTER" there is nothing in the DVD ROM DRIVE. When I click on the DVD ROM DRIVE ICON it gives you the error message that there is no media in the drive like when you try to access your 3.5 floppy and theres no disk in it. Is there some sort of codec or something that enables your computer to recognize that theres a dvd in the drive?

Thanks

2. jbalboa

jbalboa Guest

Sounds like you haven't installed the DVD software--which normally comes in a CD--but if you were trying to install the software from a floppy, and your floppy drive is not detecting the floppy, then the floppy drive is not working.

did you connect the flat ribbon cable and the other connector (with the 8 round cables)?

Is the Drive compatible with your Windows Version (os)?

If you did all three and it still doesn't work, it might be defective._X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Attitude determines altitude"[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2003
  3. F1118

F1118 Member

If the ribbon cable was not connected the drive would not read a regular cd ... it reads everything except dvds ... The software that came with it was windvd ... i installed it but it gave me an error message about audio .. its possible that the drive is defective I suppose.

4. jbalboa

jbalboa Guest

If you're talking about a DVD burner you purchased from 321-Studios for $99.00, I can tell you right now that it's defective.

Most likely you won't make it read and if you do, tell us how, 'cause there are a lot of us who ran into that little problem.

Apparently, they will be upgrading the firmware on that BenQ burner and will let us know through the form.

Customer support is not very reliable at 321Studios, so just bare with us and you will find out what the fix is.

This is the biggest thread regarding your problem: http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/46644#239254

5. F1118

F1118 Member

You must have me confused with someone else .. I never said I bought a DVD-RW Drive from 321 ... Im talking about a DVD-ROM Drive that came with my system.

6. jbalboa

jbalboa Guest

Oops, sorry...