1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-rom help - what now?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Laurauk, May 4, 2007.

1. Laurauk

Laurauk Member

hi guys, ive just been asked to take a look at a laptops dvd-rom drive. its apparently tried to be fixed before but the geezer did nothing and it hasnt worked since.

its a QSI Dvd-rom and initially it wont even detect the fact it is a dvd - it was still saying that the other cd i had just used was still in (it wasnt) it was only when i rebooted the machine that it recognised it. i installed windvd as powerdvd was having none of it in order to try and play the original dvd - but nothing. the program opened but no video came through. i tried opening it through the program and pointing to the source drive, but still nothing.

of course when opening the device i can see the ts folders, so they are there, im just wondering what my nest step is or if this drive is totally fubar'd? i tried to find a newer driver for it in hope that it would help, but nothing is out there i can find, and everything i come up against is german as the laptop is an advent.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Laura x

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

All optical drives use the default windows driver. Perhaps you meant firmware?

Depending on autorun settings sometimes windows won't detect a new disc, but a simple refresh of My Computer should be enough rather than a full reboot.

If you have an IDE adapter (or another Laptop) you could try it in a different PC. Otherwise if you have another slim DVD drive you could try that in the laptop. Could also try booting a live Linux distro or Windows PE/XPE and see if the drive behaves any differently.

The Pioneer DVR-K17 looks cheap if you end up needing a replacement. You might also want to try cleaning the drive first though.

3. Laurauk

Laurauk Member

the refresh of my computer did nothing.

cant get to the bay and i dont have access to ther lappys etc