1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-ROM slow [fixed] buffer recovery?

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by ZephyrKun, May 9, 2009.

1. ZephyrKun

ZephyrKun Member

HI!
    Great site! I´ve been getting most of my problems solved here for years now without ever needing to post a question.

Until now.

I have an LG GH20LS10 dvd-rom. a week ago it started to burn sloooow It took 1/2hr to burn + 45min to verify. When it was burning, the PC was really slow!(ex. I couldn't play a video cause it got choppy. And then when verifying my PC "froze" so I had to wait until it finished verifying and instantly all went back to normal.

A little history

A week before this happened , I did some minor tweaking with TweakUI and when I rebooted my windows user was gone and replaced with the Administrator. All my files where there in my previous user so I just coppied them to the administrator folder. could anything have gone wrong there?

This is what I have tried.

Downloaded newest driver(which was thee same i had) GH20LS10_FL01
    No changes

Updated(Flashed) MOBO.
    Ok, THIS, did improve things a lot.It takes the same amount of time to burn+verify. But I can use the PC while burning (moderately, can´t play videos yet) and when verifying It slows a LOT like it was when burning before flashing.

Read this. Changed appropriately. No improvement.
    Code:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
    Ran ASpyware and AV No issues.

Cleaned Registry and TEMP

Anything else I can try?
    I read around It may be cables or watts issue, I don{t think this is my case since I´ve been steadily using this for quite a time,

2. ZephyrKun

ZephyrKun Member

Ok, so I read some more and I cleaned the dvd-rom completely and reinstalled the drivers.
    Now it works fine-ER.
    PC didn´t slow down while burning and only took 10min to burn and xx to verify.

In the ImgBurn Log says 2 lines

Waiting for buffers to recover ... (LBA 726116)
    Waiting for Hard Disk activity to reach threshold level ...

I appear 2 times, each with different LBA numbers.

Are those the errors that "change" it from DMA to PIO mode?

Must I now take it to the vendor?

3. ZephyrKun

ZephyrKun Member

on verifying was xx it was supposed to be 8min.

4. grampyga

grampyga Regular member

If green buffer indicator in ImgBurn is not filling up during the burn, check;

RAM – How much RAM do you have and what is your OS? Try not to multi-task during the burn. (Turn off apps in the tray if you can.)

HD – Do you have enough free space? Defrag may help too.

I do not think “waiting…” messages in the log are error, which put your burner in PIO mode.

5. ZephyrKun

ZephyrKun Member

Thank you grampyga. That´s what I thought. It seems to be burning fine now. I guess I will not know why it went to PIO mode.