1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Rom will read cd's but not dvd's

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by bruceb3, Apr 8, 2005.

1. bruceb3

bruceb3 Member

My JLMS XJ-HD166S just stopped reading dvd's. Not just burned copies, but originals. It will play cd's just fine but when I insert a dvd, I just get the hourglass and I hear the drive ocasionally spinning up like its trying to recognize the disk. The green light on the drive just flashes. My Plextor burner still works great. I tried uninstalling the dvd-rom in device manager and restarting but that didn't work either. Device manager says the drive is working properly. I have the latest firmware (DS1E). This just started this morning. I even reinstalled a Ghost image of C: from a month ago that I know was a good configuration. I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go buy a new drive just to find out it was something else. Thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try a cd/dvd disc cleaner & if possible try the drive in another computer to see if problem follows or not

3. apeyou

apeyou Member

I am having the exact same problem with an HP640b lightscribe Dual Layer DVD-R drive. I have two DVD writer drives, the other is working fine, the HP drive will recognize cdroms, but will not recognize DVD movie files. When I entered a blank DVD-R it recognized their was a disc blank disc, but any DVD with movie files it doesn't. I've been trying to do a little bit of looking around and can't come up with much, one idea is it might have something to do with the registry, but I'm certainly no wiz with that stuff, so i'm lost. Any help here would be much appreciated. Thanks