1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rom wont play r-dvds

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by blom, Dec 1, 2004.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2. blom

blom Guest

that works ive downloaded firmwere 5.70 but im unsure on how to install it

3. ddp

i've haven't done firmware before but have done a # of bios flashes, so presuming is about same thing but different device, you have to use artecdhm.exe with g48rv570.hex at the dos prompt

4. blom

blom Guest

FINALY got round to firguring it out i' now installed the new firmwere so i'let you know how i get on

thanks for your help

paul

5. ddp

hopefully works

6. blom

blom Guest

the dvd rom worked fine yesterday but tonight it's gone back to freezeing the pc using the same disks as yesterday.if i put in an original and play it for a few seconds and then put in a dvd r- in the same drive striaght away it will play it .but if i put the dvd r- in first it freezes. it also says when playing the dvd r- that the drive is a cd-rom drive.now it refuses to play full stop. any ideas?

cheers
    paul

7. ddp

check for any spyware & viruses on system. any exclamation marks in device manager

8. blom

blom Guest

device manager is clear i removed all spywere and virus scan was ok i'll leave it overnight and see what happens tomorrow

thanks

paul

9. blom

blom Guest

no its still the same could it be something in the bios? or codecs? i downloaded k-lite codec pack but thats not made a differnce

10. ddp

remove dvdrom from device manager,restart windows & let windows reload driver & see what happens

11. blom

blom Guest

nothing changes it finds the dvd rom and instals it and it still only plays retail dvds

12. ddp

rma drive to be replaced with another brand just in case bad batch??? if take computer to store to be fixed put a small mark on drive so that you know they have changed drive

13. blom

blom Guest

i'm thinking of putting another writer in it's place i'm thinking of doing it my self is it just a straight swap or do i have to change any power cables/ide cables? i'm also thinking of replacing it with a nec 3500a or can you recomened one?.also the dvd rom drive i had replaced (sony) with this one did exactly the same is it just bad luck? or do you think theres a fault on the mother board or somewere else?

cheers

paul

14. ddp

1. straight swap but make certain jumper is in same position
    2. pioneer 108d 16X is supposedly good or try the LG 4160B 16x (Super Multi Format)
    3. have you tried changing cables, if have & still problem than possible board/bios problem. check on your bios for version & date than check manufacturer for newer update.
    post result

15. blom

blom Guest

i'll check the manufacter for bios up date i may try changing the cable i'm not sure yet i'll let you know what i decide thanks again for your help and have a good xmas and new year

paul

16. ddp

same to you

17. blom

blom Guest

i've checked bios for updates but theres none i think i'm going to get the pioneer 108d 16x you recommended do you know of a good site in the uk to purchese it from? and is it good for writing the datawrite yellow v2 x4 g4 r- discs as i have 600! of them

cheers

paul

18. ddp

i'm in canada. as for your discs might work but go thru the different dvd threads & see what people say about those discs & pioneer. also check pioneer site to see if there is a compatibility chart or a faq page

19. drewsy68

drewsy68 Member

I have had similar problems with my dvd-rom. After backing up files, my dvd-rom wont read them (dvd-r). It will, however, read anything else.

I have DVDRegion Free installed and when it promts me to enable DMA(Direct Memory Access) I select "ok" then it advises me to reboot before DMA will be enabled, however, PC fails to reboot.

Could this be the problem regarding DVD-R playback ?

I would be very grateful for any help.

20. ddp

where you enabling dma in device manager??