1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-ROM wont work properly

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Dela, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Hey every1

My Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616F will read any cd I put into it. The problem however is, If I try to copy anything from it or use it for dvds/games it will work for a while and then crash.

I cant do anything. Before any1 asks, no the dvd drive is not locked.

I can't ecen copy 30-megs from it. If it speeds up, it crashes and takes windows down with it.

Im runnin Windows XP Pro but I had the same problem when I had Windows ME. Can anyone give me a good reason for why this is happening

2. dalboy

dalboy Member

I presume you have got the latest firmware for it. Probably a silly question. Maybe it's overheating, in which I would suggest replacing it for a new drive. Cheap as chips nowadays.

3. Dela

I have yes. I dont think its overheating but Im going to replace it anyway

4. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

As a last ditch effort, maybe try a different IDE cable, or even put it on the other IDE channel, perhaps share the same cable as your primary IDE hard drive to see if it corrects itself. I'm sure you already checked to make sure it is running in DMA mode.. (I don't want to insult your abilities), but just throwing ideas into the wind.. you never know, it may be having resource conflicting with another device in your system.. this would explain the same problem happening in both operating systems.. have you installed any new hardware lately?

Anyhow, best of luck man!

5. Dela

Forget it. I had a good friend who'd know a lot about it take a look and he told me its fu.. Well you get the idea.

Thanx anyway mate!!