1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-ROM

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by murdog, Jan 21, 2004.

1. murdog

murdog Member

My computer crashed so I am now in the process of buying a new tower. Dell is recommending a 16x DVD-ROM drive and as a 2nd drive a DVD+R/RW combo drive. Do I have other options to work in the bays provided? Also what is the easiest and best software for coping VCR tapes and DVD's that are protected? Does anyone know anything about Dazzle video and Creator which is offered thru Dell?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I'd see if Dell would install a dual format DVD burner (+R/RW, -R/RW).
    For copying encrypted DVDs, You can use a one click tool like DVD Xcopy Express, however I recommend DVD Shrink 3.1.3 (free) to decrypt and compress your movies and Nero 6 Ultra as a burning program.
    I would avoid Roxio.
    If I were gettin' a Dell, dude, they would be installing 1 gig of RAM, a 120 GB hdd and making sure they enabled DMA.
    I'd install my own burner or tell them to put in a new Plexor or Pioneer.

3. murdog

murdog Member

What is DMA? Sounds like I should install my own DVD drive and software.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi murdog,

DMA is direct memory access, my very non-technical (And possibly wrong) explanation is that this setting allows information to be transfered from a device like your ROM to your hard-drive without going through your processor.
    Its a setting that you can check and change rather easily.

Your OEM burner will work fine if you just want to back-up a movie now and then. What brand and model burner is Dell going to install?

Its a lot easier if you start with software that works. Shrink and Nero have lots of support here and they work. If you have any problems at all you questions can be answered here.

I would suggest spending time here at Afterdawn just reading. Click on the links! Oh, and read the rules, this is a pretty liberal place but we gotta have rules! Just look at the first few posts in the newbies forum.

Heres a couple of links to look at too:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

http://www.nero.com/us/631898252770313.html

Frank

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  5. murdog

murdog Member

Thanks Frank....Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks for the links. Murdog

6. askyew

askyew Regular member

Thats very good advice FastFrank I istalled a TDK indi 440 multi drive, a new 80gb barracuda drive, decryting, shrinking, burning software, and burned a working dvd on my first try before I ever posted here just from reading. Be sure to check the guides tab if you're a noob like me.

7. murdog

murdog Member

I am confused....I downloaded Nero 6.0 suite to burn DVD"S after using DVDShrink. The guide talks about using Nero Vision which I can't find in this program. Did I download the wrong thing?

8. chopsman

chopsman Guest

I would go with a dual format(+/-R) for sure. If Dell dont offer one then get one aftermarket. I just bought a Pioneer A06U for my Gateway 500s series desktop.Im using DVD Shrink and Nero 6 to back up my DVDs and Im getting good results.Also go with as much Ram and HD Space as you can afford because if you back up alot of DVDs,,, you will need it for sure.Im running 1gb ram with 115 gb HD space, and I really need more. Hope this helps.

9. murdog

murdog Member

With the Demo version do you have the ability to copy a DVD to a DVD format or do you have to buy the full (retail) to get that feature?

10. chopsman

chopsman Guest

To be honest Im not familiar with the demo version of Nero. But if its anything like the other demo versions of various other programs available I would say not, but just download it and see. These guys on Afterdawn should be able to tell you for sure though.