1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rom

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ellemnop, Aug 31, 2004.

1. ellemnop

ellemnop Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for it, so I'm prepared to be smacked with a wet trout if I'm wrong.

My book for my PS2 says that it is compliant with DVD Rom. Does this mean that if I backup my movies to a DVD Rom, instead of DVD-R(etc), that they will play on my PS2??

*smiles*
    Elle

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Where the hell did I put that wet trout!?!

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Better keep that fish in your pocket for now my friend -

You could post to the PS2 forum but every gammer we have here uses DVD-R media and has no problem what so ever.

Cheers and happy Burning :)

Pete

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Alright since I can't find that trout I suppose I can help, eh?

You can't actually back up to a DVD ROM since they are pressed at at factory from a master template. PS2's will read from burned media just fine but I'd suggest you take a look at our PS2 forums and our Media forum to get some pointers on just what brands/types work best :)

5. ellemnop

ellemnop Member

but ... but ... but ...

I saw DVD Rom discs for sale at a local store.

I think.

*hides Nephilim's fish again*

6. ellemnop

ellemnop Member

Now ...

So ...

Oh God! I'm totally confussed!

When I burn a DVD movie backup, it plays on my DVD player, but not my PS2. Should it play on my PS2, or do I need to do one of those 'tricks' to get it to play??

Does different media make a difference? I've tried DVD+RW and DVD-R discs.

7. KAMAAINA

KAMAAINA Guest

DVD ROM is a term used to describe both the disc and the DRIVE. DVD+/- R/RW is the type of Media(or disc's) for 'burning'(copying/duplicating) the other media format is DVD RAM (2types,cartridge or disc)and was also the EARLIEST type DVD drive. As far as your Playstation goes, it is highly recommended by MANY INCLUDING SONY TECH's, that it not be used as a dvd player. Just as it won't play all movies it will also not play every 'burnt' dvd.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ellemnop, you're not the only one that gets confused when it comes to DVD's the different types and what they will and won't do -

Scoot on over to this site and ask away, they answer about any question you have about DVD's :)

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3

Spending a few minutes there will ease your troubled brow :)

cheers,

Pete

9. KAMAAINA

KAMAAINA Guest

Hey scubapete! KUDO's on your aninmatics, you also nephilim, something I haven't learned or done yet. Hope to someday. I've used some of both your tips in past as well. I do like the 'usually' helpful info you give, but just decided to join in yesterday. I sometimes get 'ITCHY' when someone asking gets 'busted' on. So don't mind me worked for 'UNCLE SUGAR' a while 'til I got fed up with the lack of 'trained adult leaders'. Look forward to you both providing me with info in the future.