1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd-r's are freezing up in dvd player HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by donkylegs, Nov 27, 2004.

1. donkylegs

donkylegs Member

I have had my dvd-r burner for just under two years and just recently i have been having problems with it. I have used various burning programs and all say that the processes was completed succesfully, however when I put the dvd in my dvd player or my playstation 2 They always freeze up on me. The dvd-r's play for a random period of time and then start to clitch up breaking down into squares and such and then eventually just freezing on one frame. Like I said I have used multible dvd players and burning software so im sure thats not the problem, it has to be my burner getting bogged down somewhere along the line. Please help>

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Make/model burner? Firmware version?

Brand/type media? Burn speed?

3. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

it cant be randomly messing up. I'm sure it will mess up on that part of the dvd everytime. Its usually because your media sucks, or because when you were burning it, even though it completed successfully, you were running too many programs at once. If you multi tast sometimes youll use up your buffer, which makes it so you dont burn continiously, but more like stop and go while the buffer builds back up, and even though it completes successfully it will have those skips in it sometimes. Id assume your media just sucks though, or maybe both the media and your burner.

4. globes

globes Member

ok...
    i have also had about 200+ good burns.. im actually onto my second burner.. and its been fine.. but now all of a sudden.. i get the exactly the same thing.. and yes it is completely random.. even on the same disc... sometimes it plays the part that it stopped at.. i just have no idea what to do.. ive tried new media... new burning software.. i just have the same problem and my god is it given me the poo's...

the only thing that i can think of maybe ? ive just upgraded to xp sp2... if that makes any difference or not im not sure.. i have a mate who burns fine discs and who has also just updated as well.. so i really dont know what it could be..

anything at all that is worth trying i will give it a bash..

question tho.. what software do you use.. and what burner and what media have u been using.. and have u installed anything recently..

5. camstuf

camstuf Guest

I had this problem when I used DVD labels, now I use a sharpie...problem solved

6. globes

globes Member

im not too sure what you mean.

can u explain plz

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Sharpie: Also known as Sharpie Permanent Marker. Usually comes in a standard black, but now available in assorted colors. Has a nice soft felt tip. Applies on any surface.

8. donkylegs

donkylegs Member

the burner is a pioneer dvd-rw dvr-104 Ok Just Found the firm ware it says it is 1.41. I am recording at 2x on a generic media but I have beed using this media for almost two years and have never had a problem with it. Could I just need to clean up my hard drive and free up more space or will a good defragmenting help. I rarely multi task while burning ...can I make the buffer larger so it dosnt use up so quick.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You should de-frag regularly, disc clean up regularly. When you are using your PC to read & burn leave it well alone. They do not like to burn & do other things. You should turn off virus scanning etc & make sure you have as few programs running as possible.
    Good media also helps.
    Playstations are notorious for not playing any dvds, they are probably the WORST dvd player & overrated piece of hardware out there. Have you got packet writing installed, or any Roxio software?
    What other software have you tried?
    Why is your new burner an AO4, why not treat youself & your PC to a 108? I have 2. Granted I have not used DL discs yet (down to price!) I use dvdx platinum, shrink, Nero & alcohol120%. My fave is platinum. on my PC it does the job 15-20mins quicker than shrink. Saying that you have to find what is best for your system.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey donkeylegs, You stated you had over 200 burns on "generic media".Is this media from a different lot from when it was burning fine?A high quality media may do the trick.Low quality media will freeze and a whole lot of other stuff,especially after the burner ages.Just something to try, later

11. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

id assume it was the media like i said in the first post.. bad media is bad media.. sometimes youll get good batches, and sometimes you wont. if you want reliable burns get something better.

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey jety, There's a lot of issues on stand alone players not playing backups.Especially when they play fine in the pc where they were burned.Its like every dvd laser has a little bit of variation in it.This poorer media is magnefied in the stand alone's..Most of the ones I help in the playback forums usually solves this by the media change. You have to have a certain recipe for both pc and standalone to read. Switching burners also mixes it up. A certain media that this new burner prefers.I have this on both pc and stand alone burning,but my family and friend's can play them once I figure out which "recipe" that stand alone plays.Hey donkeylegs,I forgot something in my last post. My buddy's sony playstation 2 loves maxell -r's with the yellow tabs. Just a little info to pass around. Later

13. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

thats true, certain media will play well/burn well with specific players. But... if you have good media and a good burner, it will play on 95 percent of dvd players, as well as more than 95 percent of dvd drives. the combination wont make much of a difference because now a days DVD players will play almost anything. If a quality media plays well in one dvd payer, chances are it will work perfect in all players. If the media is cheap then you can never tell. it might only work for that one player. Ive had the same problem, with skips in half of my burns. It is the media!

if you want to know about good media, here is a link, but its from a year or so ago and newer media has come out.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

ritek, prodisc inkjet printable, ty, those are the medias ive used with around 95%-100% successful burn and playback rate. actually more like 100 percent successful burn rate, but around 95 - 99% of those play without any skips. ive had probobly 10 different dvd players use this media with no problems.

14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

If you notice on the back of an ORIGINAL DVD (bought from the store) it usually says "DVD VIDEO." This is a different format than DVD-R and DVD+R. All standalone DVD players play DVD Video format discs (as long as the region is correct). Some DVD players experience compatibility problems with DVD-R and DVD+R, as well as RW's. Try different DVD players.

15. donkylegs

donkylegs Member

I think ive solved the problem pretty simple I guess, I had been using noton to defragment my hard drive but it would appear it wasnt getting the job done, I used the windows defragment and cleaned up my hard drive adn for the time being discs seem to be burning much better though still not perfect but what ever is I supose. Thanks to all for your suggestions