1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Rs not playing on stand alone...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Bernie183, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Bernie183

Bernie183 Member

My wife and I bought an external DVD-R/RW writer the other day, and finally got everything figured out and I burned a couple older episodes of Survivor that I'd downloaded.
    We're planning on a big move, so we want to back-up all of our currently owned DVDs so last night I started work on one and finally finished only to realize that the finished product won't play on any standalone DVD player whereas the Survivor disc plays fine.
    I used the same program for each(HP DVD) that came with the hardware, I know I selected DVD-R and not a VCD or anything like that. For the backing up, of course, I had to use a DVD Decrypter(although I didn't use DVDshrink because I couldn't figure out how to burn only a certain number of chapters so it would fit on the disc). Could that have anything to do with it?
    The only other difference between the two are the actual discs I'm using. The first set(Survivor) was Maxwell DVD+R 8x 120min 4.7gb discs and the second(Back-up discs) were Memorex DVD-R 120min 4.7 discs.

Sorry about all the info, just trying to give as much as possible to make a clear question.
    Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Bernie183,
    Welcome to the forum,
    Below is a site that has the instructions for using Shrink or if you want a hard copy of the instructions PM me and I'll PM them to you

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/dvdshrink.html

The problem w/ the second set of movies you did probably was the blank media. Memorex is not quality blank media as about 4 different manuf.'s make the disks for them and there usually is no quality control. You can still use the disks but they will have to be used to store pictures, data. To do a movie properly you need good quality blank media and I suggest the you find some more of those Maxell's or try and find Verbatim or Taito Yuden blank media

3. Bernie183

Bernie183 Member

We're going to take the unopened package of Memorex back to the store where we got it and get some more Maxwells.
    Thanks

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

NOTE:

20% of the Maxell -R's are made by CMC (the same place that Memorex comes from). I suggest +R and you should do alright.

FYI, Taiyo Yuden's are on sale from Mertline.com today for $.24 ea (USD) and Verbatim 25-pack are $10.00 off (50-pack are $20.00 off) again, at Mertline.com. Also, they have an excellent return policy for something like the Maxell when you accidently get the CRC made ones. Buying online is great, the product at your door in one or 2 days.

My 2-cents

Pete

5. ulagy

ulagy Member

I have seen some stand alone dvd players that will play +r's but not -r's. If you try different medias and get the same problem it might be your dvd player.

6. Bernie183

Bernie183 Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. We exchanged the Memorexes for Maxwells and the movie is playing fine now. I'll definately look into buying some of the better suggested media online, as it's cheaper 90% of the time.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Do you mean Maxell?
    These +8x's are excellent.All of maxell's are very good,but some burners do have trouble with them.

Of course,some stand alones can be pickier as to which format/burn speed/and even brand name of media.

How do those 2 backups look on your pc drive, external burner drive to play it?

???? I have yet to run into or heard any member running into CMC manufactured Maxells,but with dvd media-anything can happen between brand named media.

I have run into Hitachi/Taiyo yuden/Ritek/and Ricohjpn on all of the many different spindles and jewel pack sizes.These include 3/5/10/15/25/and 50 packs. Even all those different lots in the plus maxell 4x are all made by ricohjpn so far.The few packs of maxell +8x that I used were made in japan By hitachi. Those register as Maxell-002.

It all depends on where you want to buy your quality media. It's cheaper on the web for the ty's and Verbatims. It goes on sale locally at staples/bestbuy/office depot for under 40 cents apiece if you go that route. If getting local media,Look for Made in Japan on those sony +1x-8x/Fuji 1x-8x/and maxell media.

Stay away from the memorex media. Very hard to find which spindles are the good ones.You can get a heck of a lot better quality from the maxell/fuji/and sony media that was made in japan for the same price.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Saugmon,

The discs I spoke of were Maxell -R in the 5-pack and indeed were made by CMC. these were purchased just prior to this Christmas past. The maxell +R's are good no matter what quanity.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yo scubapete, I just replied to another thread of someone getting cmags on the maxell -r media a couple months ago. I asked him which speed they were.I should have asked him the quantity size also.I've purchased quite a few of those -4x 5packs with jewel cases and they were all Mxl-rg-02's. I do love their plus's. Ricohs/Hitachi/and my last 50 pack spindle of +8x-made in taiwan are Ritek-r03's.

All the +4x maxell's I have used were all ricohjpn's. The +8x's are looking great,so far,LOL. They are showing as Maxell-002-00 and Ritek-R03. I usually stick with the verbatim data life plus +8x in the regular and Full hub printables,Excellent media. I still like to try out local on sale media just for sh*ts and giggles.
    Later

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Saugmon,

Thanks for the backup.

I call 'em as I sees 'em.

I have seen them only in the -R media not anything at all with the +R.

For that reason, I recommend the +R but not the -R.

I'm not sure the speed, they may have been 4X, I'm just not sure and they're all gone -

Cheers Friend,

Burn on . . .