1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R's only playback on some players

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tlw72, Dec 3, 2003.

1. tlw72

tlw72 Guest

I have a NEC ND1300 firmware 1.08 and have been buring on various media. I find the Ritek G04's the best, while they play on my Toshiba SD-k620 player fine, I tried them on 3 different Toshiba SD-K730's and the playback stutters. I have other Ritek (2x I believe) that play on my player fine but freeze up on the 730's. I had some Princo that I have mostly tossed, but one plays on my player with dropouts but freezes on the 730's. I don't think it is the media because the Ritek G04's play on all, albeit not well on some. Is the problem my recorder, the media, or the players? I'd like to be able to backup my DVD's and be able to use the backup on other players.

2. koola

koola Guest

It could be your PC config but bad media is mostly always the cause. However in your case, it could be your Config or drivers.

Check that you have the latest ASPI drivers installed.

Also, make sure that you are using the correct procedure and software correctly.

Post back your PC config and software that you are using.

Cheers :D

3. tlw72

tlw72 Guest

I am using Win98 SE, although I dual boot to XP. I prefer 98. I use DVD Shrink Beta 5 to rip to disk and then Nero 6.0.0.23 to create the DVD-video (although I was using 5.5.10.54). I don't know how I'd check for the ASPI drivers. The Ritek G04's are genuine as reported by DVD Decrypter. The disks play flawlessly on my 1 dvd player.

4. koola

koola Guest

5. tlw72

tlw72 Guest

Thanks. I'll try that. I also am running a Raid array Highpoint 3.72. Does it load its own drivers? And would the wrong driver result in dvd that play differently on different players?

6. tlw72

tlw72 Guest

I noticed that the Video Digital to Analog Conversion rate is 10 bit/27 mHz on my SD K620, but I think the rate is 10 bit/54 mHz on the others. Could that be a part of the problem?

7. tlw72

tlw72 Guest

Found that I had Aspi v. 4.6 and upgraded to 4.71. Backed up X2 with no compression on 2 Ritek G04 disks at 4x. It plays fine on both the 27 mhz and 54 mhz sampling rate players. Compressed it to 65% and put it on 1 disk writing at 2x (in case a slower speed would help) with both Aspi 4.6 and 4.71. Both play on the 27 mhz player and both stutter/pause briefly every 10 seconds or so on the 54 mhz player. I'm just guessing that it is the recorder now.

8. koola

koola Guest

It sounds like it is the recorder. You should get it checked out or try some different software like CloneDVD or DVD2One etc.

9. tlw72

tlw72 Guest

I thought it was the recorder, but now I think it is DVD Shrink. I found on another forum a similar problem where there were pauses at the layer breaks on some players. The problem there also only occurs on compressed movies. Granted, my pauses occur every few seconds. Tonight I will try IFOedit to recreate an IFO file to see it that works, then CloneDVD, and then maybe a different recorder. Thanks.

10. tlw72

tlw72 Guest

I tried CloneDVD and the problem disappears making it clear that the problem is with DVD Shrink. DVD Shrink is a great program, but apparently I can't use it if I need to do any compression.