1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Rudeboi, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Rudeboi

Rudeboi Member

Hey

I was wondering what is the difference b/w DVD-R's and DVD+R's because i always buy DVD+R's and they work good on most DVD players and i use them for my PS2 games...now i wanted to switch to DVD-R's because i heard they work in ALL DVD players but i am not sure for PS2...so what i want to know is...If i make the switch to DVD-R's..will i still be able to burn movies and PS2 games the same way?

Thanks

2. calhounm

calhounm Guest

dvd-r's work in some older players that won't play +r's but other than that there isn't a differance. some olders players will play niether

3. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

yes.dvd+r is the new format so it dont work on alot of older dvd drives but dvd-r works on all except maybe the newest dvd player (it should be listed either on the dvd or in the owners manual)and maybe ps2 slim.i have a ps2 that came out before slim and they work.it might depend on your mod chip also(though highly unlikely).dvd+r suppose to have better quality,i havent used them myself but plan to try out soon.but the only advantage is more compatibilty with older drives which in a few years wont matter anymore.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The variations between burners are the reasons that some members prefer plus format,as others prefer dash format. I myself,booktype my dvd+r discs to dvd-rom and have yet to find a stand alone player or pc that will not play them. The dash format from my benq's,does have less compatability on some of those stand alones.So there's a few players that won't play my dash r's-even using tyg01's/so I avoid sending my family and friends those dash backups who's players won't recognize them.

You can try a small batch of maxell -4x in the 3/5/or 10 pack and find out for yourself.The higher quality media helps out on some of these compatability issues.

It all comes down to compatability of where you play your backups.

5. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

i was just about to make a post about quality of dvds. basically asking for the best brand.im using verbatims and suspect a quality issue.ive burnt some good copies both movies and ps2,but have some bad ones too.i adjusted the burn settings but nothing that suggests that is the absolute problem if the problem at all.so could you give some advice on this subject?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It all depends on which verbatims you are talking about.I have used ricohjpn-01/mcc-002/and mcc-003. Of all those, the mcc-003-"verbatim data life plus +8x"- are my choice.They have the METAL AZO DYE!There are reports of cmags floating about the forums on some of the the verbatim data life.I did not have good results on the verbatim -4x digital movie quality discs so I gave them away and will avoid them.My benq's do not like those -4x verbs.
    My step-son had trouble playing my verbatim data life +4x backups that were coded ricohjpn-01 on his ps2.

Of course taiyo yuden is said to be the best.

If you have nero/dvd decrypter/dvdinfopro/or dvdidentifier then you can tell us the actual mfg code of those verbatims.

I have a buddy who burns ps2 and x-box games and he prefers maxell and tdk dash format in the 4x speeds,but he burns very slow.

7. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

i tried dvd decrytpter and couldnt find the information on the disc.then again i didnt know what i was lookinf for.i never thought to look for the disc speed when i first bought them.a 100 dvds for $50 whose paying attention to that.but now that im down to my last dvd its time to look for the good ones. had enough practice on these ones to know the difference now.

when it comes to ps2 games there are alot of factors that come into play that determine whether theyll play or not,nore than dvd movies that is.anthing before v4 wont play +r first off,then alist of reasons there after.but that is what i plan on using on some ps2 backups that arent running right on -r.most people prefer -r for games just in case their ps2 goes out or destroyrd somehow they can go get a cheap used one that might be an old version or alredy have an old one. anyway thanks for the info

by the way where do you get taiyo yuden at?

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If you live in the US supermediastore from what I've read has the best ratings to make sure you get genuine TY's and not fakes. Rima is not far behind. I bought a 50pk of TY dvd+r printables from rima and they are the real thing, burn good, play good. I have the best performance with Verbatum DLP dvd+r's media code MCC003. I too like saugmon booktype all my backups dvd-rom.

Use this free utility to determine the MID codes of your media. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005