1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW and Copyright.

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by attar, Aug 31, 2007.

1. attar

attar Senior member

Windows media Player refuses to play video burned to DVD-RW (if the disk is in the burner).
    If the disk is in my PC's DVD player, it's accepted.

If AnyDVD is running, the error does not occur.
    DVD Decrypter says that the DVD-RW disk has CPRM protection - I guess they all do.

"C00D1163: A problem occurred with digital copyright protection"

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  2. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

I think most -RW media are using CPRM. If your hardware can write to +RW discs then you'd be OK.

Interesting that AnyDVD got past it. I thought for sure (at least as of a few months ago) that AnyDVD couldn't deal with CPRM.

3. attar

attar Senior member

WMP accepts the disk if it's in my player (as opposed to the burner) and in any case, the content is not from an encrypted source.
    It can't be that WMP routinely refuses to accept video content on DVD-RW if it's presented on a DVD burner??

4. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

I don't know a lot about CPRM, I've never encountered it first hand. But I know that some hardware supports it and some doesn't, as well as software players. So, it's possible the firmware in your burner doesn't support CPRM, whereas your player does.

So, WMP wouldn't be routingely rejecting all video on a -RW disc, just rejecting CPRM protected video from a non-compliant burner.

Also, even if the video is not from an encrypted source it wouldn't matter. For example, if you were to record, say, from a premium cable channel that sent out the video with CPRM flags on it. If you record to a -RW disc that supports CPRM then you're stuck with CPRM protected video.