1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rw and dvd drive disappeared

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by chiefmypb, Jan 11, 2004.

1. chiefmypb

chiefmypb Guest

i was using dvd x copy yesterday. I left the room, and when i came back, a black screen came up that said, "primary hard disk drive 1 not found, secondary hard disk drive 0 not found. secondary hard disk drive 1 not found, press F1 to continue, f2 to run setup." Upon reboot, i find out that my DVD rw and regular DVD drive are not showing up in my computer. I cant even open my regular dvd drive, and both drives are unaccessible. Any help regarding this topic would help. Im using XP pro, on a high end dell with a pioneer dvd, and a sony dvd rw.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Have you Tried clearing your Cmos and then going into your Bios and re-detectiong your Drives???

3. chiefmypb

chiefmypb Guest

How would i go about doing that?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Clearing your Cmos is Like Putting your Bios back to there Factory Values and it will redetect all devices attached to the Motherboard...To clear the CMos you usually have to go into your Case and look at your Motherboard and Look for 3 Jumper Pins or 2 Solder points labeled "Cmos" ,If it is 3 jumper Pins it will usually have a Jumper cap over Pins 1 and 2 so what you do is Take the Jumper Cap and Put it on Pins 2 and 3 for about 10 seconds then Put it back to Pins One and Two...This will Clear your CMOS..If there are Just 2 solder Points labled Cmos then you just take something like a Paper clip or a coin and short both of the Points together useing the Coin to touch both points together and Hold it for about 10 seconds and then the Cmos should be Cleared..If you can"t Find the Cmos Pins you can also Just take the Battery out for 10 seconds and put it back in..You should Unplug your PC when doing this..After you do this you start up your PC and Go into your Bios by Pressing the Delete Button while booting up ,This will take you to the Bios/Cmos set up screen, This will all look different depending on the Type of Motherboard you have and the Make of your Bios ..The setting you are looking for should be under something like "Standard Cmos Features" navigate to this heading useing the Arrow Keys and Press "Enter"..On this Page at the top it should say something like "HDD IDE Auto Detect", navigate to this Line and Press "Enter" and it will re-detect the devices on your IDE Chanells...It might just Have the seperate Ide Chanells Listed and you Might have to detect each one seperately It all depends on your Motherboard and Bios ..You should try to Find out the exact make of your motherboard and see if you can find a Manual On it and it will tell you more of what to do when in the Bios, or you might be able to get the info from Dell....
    Another thing you Might try before you do this is do a System restore to a point before all the problems started ,And as a Last resort you could allways try re-installing WinXP....well good luck

5. chiefmypb

chiefmypb Guest

thanks for the help, hope this works

6. grovesej

grovesej Guest