1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+RW and Separate DVD-ROM drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shark29, Jan 6, 2005.

1. shark29

shark29 Member

I was just curious, is it recommended to have a separate DVD-ROM drive in order to not put so much wear and tear on a DVD burner when copying movies and such? Just figured the life of my DVD+RW might last longer if it didnt have to be the drive doing all the reading, just the writing. Any opinions?

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

people recommend using a dvd rom to read for different reasons: faster read speed as dvd-rom isnt usually locked to 2x like most burners (although many burners can be unlocked with hacked firmware), less strain on burner (rom drive might only cost $50 compared to up to $200 for burner), ability to copy on the fly (some ppl try this, most fail, not recommended)
    i use an aopen cd-dvd rom to read and a pioneer ao8 to burn. using shrink i can put the movie in the reader and the blank in the burner, start the job, and leave it, no need to swap discs etc.
    Then again the aopen drive cost AUD$90 and the pioneer was only AUD$110 so as far as wear and to on the more expensive unit ???

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Having a a DVD drive to read and a seperate DVD drive to burn is faster and eliminates having to swap in the middle of burning. I myself use 2 DVD DL Burners. One to read and one to burn. The reason I chose to go with 2 instead of 1 Rom and 1 burner was because I had trouble finding a DVD Rom that could read DVD+R DL discs. I also only paid $70 a piece for the burners. I can burn single layer movies in 15 min and DL in 40 min. I am very happy with the results.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005