1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW cannot be read

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by fueldog, Jan 12, 2005.

1. fueldog

fueldog Member

I am using TDK DVD-RW 4.7Gb 4x discs and when I put them in my laptop DVD drive I can't get them to open or play.
    When I check the drive properties, it shows the discs as full, but I don't know, and can't find what data is on these discs. I have 5 discs all like this and I think that I may have backed up some folders from my hard drive to the discs either with Nero or Drag'n Drop CD+DVD. Neither program will read the discs.
    I have tried to erase the data with no success and I've attempted to re-format, but in both cases the drive just locks up and nothing happens. I tried to use DVDInfo Pro but again the drive doesn't respond.
    DVD-R discs that I have recorded on this drive all work OK and same with my CDs.
    The DVD burner is a Toshiba SD-R6122 in a Toshiba M30 laptop, and I've checked the firmware for updates but it's current.
    Can anyone suggest a fix or does anyone know if TDK replaces discs if they are faulty?
    All help will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance

2. fueldog

fueldog Member

Is anyone aware of a defect with the TDK 4x 4.7Gb DVD-RW discs?

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If you look at the insert or spindle cover, TDK as well as all the big manufacturers - Fuji, Memorex, Maxell, etc. will replace them if you send them back to them. I sent back some DVD+RWs for Memorex and Fuji a couple of years ago when they were $3 a piece, and they sent me replacements.
    BTW, never use proprietary drag&drop apps like Nero InCD or Roxio DirectCD. Any discs burned with them won't be recognized in another PC that doesn't have the drivers installed. Just burn directly as multisession UDF or ISO. Maybe you can try reading or formatting these DVDs in a friend's drive first. Maybe it is firmware or your burner.

4. fueldog

fueldog Member

I will try the discs on another PC's DVD drive before I attempt anything else. I thought the firmware upgrade (if available) might be a possiblity, but do you know if there is an easy way do do this? e.g some sort of self installer.
    I'm a bit reluctant to do it otherwise, as I'm afraid of crashing the drive.
    When you mention burning directly, do you mean "copy and paste" the files within Win XP?
    Thanks for those tips and good advice.