1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW Drive Shows As CD Drive In My Computer

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by 27tbuck, Oct 11, 2004.

1. 27tbuck

27tbuck Member

Hello, I recently have this problem with my dvd writer. I have formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP, and now my DVD-RW drive will not work. It comes up as a CD Drive when i insert a blank DVD-R disc into the drive, and it says "Drive not accessible" when i try to explore it. And it will no longer burn DVDs. Please help, i went to system and it says it is a DVD-RW IDE1008. Thank you.

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey! Have you reinstalled the dvd drivers? Have you enabled recording on that drive? Check the drive in device manager and make sure it's prpoerly installed.

Good Luck!

3. 27tbuck

27tbuck Member

Actually, it was just Nero that was causing me problems. For some reason it would not let me burn my DVD, but i used DVD Shrink after making a project with TMPGenc and it worked just fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

27, in Nero, on the initial screen, you have to click on the DVD icon, in the upper right corner, to be able to burn a DVD. The default is CD. Once you click on the DVD icon, the next time that you open Nero, it will be set for burning DVD's.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bruce Wallace
    Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

3.06 Ghz Intel P4 CPU
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    1Gig Corsair 3200 LLPro DDR Ram
    Plextor PX 708A DVD Burner
    Sony CRX320E DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card
    Audigy2 Platinum[/small]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  5. hijacker

hijacker Guest

Either the DVD is dirty and it is not coming up as a dvd, or you need to go to the device manager and uninstall the DVD drive and reboot the computer because it has a firmware driver built into the driver and let it redetect the drive on start up, or download a firmware update for your drive.or get a can of air and blow out the dust in the drive.