1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+-RW Drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by davyj, Mar 1, 2004.

1. davyj

davyj Member

A colleague of mine is thinking about purchasing a DVD+-RW drive. I was wondering what the current thinking was on which brands are better/worse.

I noticed that the Plextor drives are considerably more expensive than other drives of similar spec by other reputable manufacturers (e.g. Lite-on, Pioneer). Whilst I appreciate that the Plextor name has a certain premium associated I was surprised to see such a difference in cost.

Do the Plextor drives offer something that I don't know about?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

There's nothing "magical" that the Plextor offers. I like them because they are a very high quality drive with great performance. Even with the new Pioneer 107 out, I'd still buy the Plextor again simply because their drives have never let me down.

On the other side, Pioneer has a legendary (and well deserved) reputation for high quality/high performance drives. If I couldn't have my Plextor, Pioneer would be the only other drive I'd want :)

3. fibertag

fibertag Guest

Not to be a JAG or anything but why in heavens name do people post these kind of ?'s I mean when I bought my drive I went online and read review after review after review after review after review well you get the idea. I suggest you tell your friend figure out what his needs are and then tell him to read reviews on what drives offer the best mach to his wants and needs. Has the world grown that lazy that we have to ask other people to do the research for our play toys for us. Like I siad I dont mean to offend you and Im sorry if I did but where does it end. Us going out and physicaly buying the drive for people?

4. Nephilim

I like these kinds of questions because I'm emotionally needy and seek validation :p

5. fibertag

fibertag Guest

Your a loonie! LOL

6. Nephilim

My psychiatrist tells me that too :)

7. davyj

davyj Member

Yes the world has gone lazy and we expect you to do all our work for us. You got a problem with that?

Seriously, I think that I could read every article on the subject for the next six months and I wouldn't have the level of expertise that some of the power users on this site have. And I know how much you guys like to share your opinions on these matters ;-) I suppose a lot of it is down to personality. I swear by Lite-On, am I right to do so, or not? Who is to say?

Whilst I respect your opinion that reviews can be useful for informing about a product, purchasing is often more about persuasion. I am far more likely to get a persuasive argument on a technical forum like this, than I will from reading magazine reviews - as to show bias to a particular manufacturer would be bad form on the publisher's part.

Finally, I was hoping to gain from other users real life experiences. 'Don't buy this drive if you have an AthlonXP', and such like. This type of information is invaluable, and if shared efecitively, can apply real pressure on manufacturers as diminishing sales do force products to be redeveloped.

Hope that clears up the matter for you.

8. fibertag

fibertag Guest

purchasing is often more about persuasion. I am far more likely to get a persuasive argument on a technical forum like this, ??? ok heres some persuasion for you. have your friend sit down and decide what his wants and needs are and then go read some reviews LOL. COUG COUGH. Ok sorry Ill give you my opinion Its been my experience that some people will spend the extra cash on a plextor or brand X becouse of its great name and they are good burners other such as yourself will go w\a lesser name brand for a better price. Myself I reviews till my eyes allmost feel out. I went with a NU DDW-081 drive {becouse they where rated on all the reviews as best bang for the buck and is a next gen drive with 8x burn and all that jaz} It had 2 flaws They are if the disk is scratched up pretty good it wont read it and it only rips at 3-4 so I bought a Lite-on HD-XJ166S dvd drive for ripping. Becouse again what I found in the hours of helping myself is that drive has a great transfer rate and reads scratched disk with no problem. So here you go hope you feel persuaded. Now here's a pat on your little bottom now go help yourself :p

9. davyj

davyj Member

Sorry. I didn't get a word of that. I only speak English.

10. Nephilim

Hee hee! Can't we all just get along? :p

You both bring up great points. I think it's great to read the reviews to get an idea of the capabilities of the drive and I think coming to a site like AD and asking questions is great too because I take great creedance in what users are experiencing with actual production drives and not review samples.

Seriously though if your buddy is looking at either a Plextor or Pioneer he really can't go wrong with either. Both are quality from two of the most respected makers.

I'd recommend running a search here for the drives you're interested in to get a better idea of what to expect from each drive.