1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD +/- RW Drives at Newegg.com

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by treezy, Apr 11, 2007.

1. treezy

treezy Regular member

Hi all AD members,
    It has been a very long time since ive posted something here (maybe a year) I am going to build another PC for myself very soon but since ive been gone for so long i have no clue which drives are good anymore. im going to need some help from Ad members on this. The obvious choices are BenQ and Plextor but they are no more now. How SAD :(
    now im stuck with lite-on, Sony/NEC, Pioneer, LG, and Samsung.
    Here are a few I found on Newegg :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827131038
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106045
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151141
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827152076
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151133

I picked these mainly because of the reviews they got and i think one of the sony's on there won a award.

so.. if you could tell me which ones i should consider and which ones i should stay away from. or if you have any of your own suggestions that would be great too.

Thank you
    any help would be appreciated.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

There's still some awesome benqs and plextor drives at Ebay,but be careful.

All those drives in your links are 18x and dvd-ram. On some models of burners,reliability went down after they added dvd-ram on them-example: Benq 1670,which has a different chipset than the older 1620,1640,1650,and 1655 with the philips chip sets.I wouldn't even touch a Benq 1670A.

I'd get the Litey,which should have bitsetting capability to booktype-making your backups have a higher stand alone player compatability rate using plus format media.

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Apparently even the mighty NECs went down in quality too, from what I've heard. Pioneer makes a great drive though, but I'm not aware of a bitsetting firmware that's available for it. Lite-Ons have long seemed to be the subject of a disproportionate amount of complaints, especially in the reliability department, but they do bitset right out of the box. LG's suck based on my experience and others, and Samsungs aren't much better though they appear to have improved a little lately.

4. treezy

treezy Regular member

Thanks for the advice people.
    but from what ive read here on AD .
    Liteys seem to be the better choice. they have gone up a whole lot in popularity.
    Ive owned some litey's in the past i remember having trouble burning with Alcohol 120%. im not sure if that still happens with the newer ones. i hope not .
    Although, i will consider checking out some Pioneers ( i think there's a 112 for $40 on newegg. but that sucks that they dont booktype (without having to flash it). I'm also going to have to go on Ebay to find some BenQ's hopefully i can find a good seller. (you know how that goes.)
    I did find a Plextor 760 for $99 + shipping on Newegg.com. I think thats when they switched back to using the Sanyo chipest i know for a while they were using Teac chipset and a whole lot of people were Pissed. not sure what the model numbers were.

5. orion6192

orion6192 Member

I bought the LH-20A1H-186 from Newegg for $38.99 (it's now $37.99). My Plextor PX-708A was starting to cause jitters in the burns so I swapped it for this one. It's actually pretty sweet. The lightscribe feature if pretty cool too. I've burned a few movies at 16X just to see what would happen and not one jitter or skip using Ridata / Ritech media from Newegg. I also sis a Verbatim Lightscribe and it was flawless also at 16X.

litey @ newegg

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 8X DVD-R DL 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM IDE Burner with LightScribe Technology - Retail

Model
    Brand LITE-ON
    Type DVD Burner
    Model LH-20A1H-186
    Performance
    DVD-ROM Access Time 160ms
    CD-ROM Access Time 160ms
    WRITE Speed
    DVD+R 20X
    DVD+RW 8X
    DVD-R 20X
    DVD-RW 6X