1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burning Software

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by m.sharp1, Nov 23, 2004.

1. m.sharp1

m.sharp1 Guest

I have a Sony 22A dual layer DVD+/-RW without software and I am finding it hard to locate suitable software. Any advice or is it too new a piece of teechnology for PCs?

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Exactly what kind of software are you in need of?
    Burning?
    Video processing-encoding?

Actually there are many to choose from:
    Burning- Nero, Copy to DVD, DVD Decrypter(burns ISO files only)- Those are the common programs around here. There are plenty more.

Video processing-encoding:
    Nero Vision Express, DVD Shrink are the first that pop into my mind.

A google search for: software dual layer burning will probably get some other good results as well.

3. m.sharp1

m.sharp1 Guest

Software for creating dual layer 8.5gb dvds.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey m.sharp1: Try dvd shrink "free". Open up dvd shrink,edit, preferences,select dv9. That should get ya started. Use dvd decrypter "also free" to do the burning for you. If you want software to watch the movies on I use windvd4.Great player on it. windvd5 out too, it should be even better.Many guides for you to follow here at A.D. Let us If this is what you wanted. Have a great day!

5. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Well by saying creating, do you mean making a DVD from home video or avi files or something similar?

Or are you just simply talking about making backup copies of movies that you own?

We need more detailed information from you about what you're trying to accomplish.

6. m.sharp1

m.sharp1 Guest

Sorry, I mean burning dvds from existing dvds or from avi files. THat's the limit of what I have bought the dual layer DVD burner for.

7. zippyd

zippyd Active member

The programs we have mentioned already are great for making backup copies of existing DVDs

If you want to make DVDs from AVI files then you'll need some programs to convert them to a DVD compliant format. If you look in the guide section, each guide gives you a list of the programs you'll need to accomplish each task.
    Just click the guide tab at the top of the page.

8. koojo

koojo Member

I've been using DVDXCopy to burn backups of movies. I just bought a dual-layer burner the other day, and I'm looking to burn backups again. Will Nero and DVDShrink let me burn copies of movies, or will they not let me because of copyright?

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Nero will copy dual layer, as will shrink. I use AnyDvd & dvd43 for copyright & region coding issues.

10. satb7783

satb7783 Member

pulsar

Or anyone out there...

I have dvd shrink and zero 6. I am THINKING about getting a dual layer burner. I just want to make sure before I do, I just put in a dvd in dvd shrink and put dvd9 under options as target dvd, then zero does the rest when I start the backup? So actually with a dual layer burner and dvd shrink and setting it at dvd9, it will make a REAL copy of it then? Am I getting that right? I just want to make sure zero will copy that or not.

11. Veblin

Veblin Active member

That's correct.

12. crd75

crd75 Member

Will you lose any quality making a backup of a dual layer DVD with DVD shrink?

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

No, you will not loose much, if any, quality. In fact, if you just record movie only & no extras, onto a single layer disc, the quality will be very good.
    You will see the difference if you have to compress lots. To be honest I am hard pressed to see much difference in quality. I don't use DL discs due to their price & you cannot get RW DL media.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  14. crd75

crd75 Member

I have just bought online a pack of 5 DVD+R DL with a DVD+RW for ~$35, which is still pricey, but not as bad as most other places. I just bought them, so I haven't had the chance to try them yet.

15. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Will there ever be the existence of dvd-r dual layer or will it just stay in the + format.?

16. trublue01

trublue01 Member

yea i hope dl dics comedown soon. they are jsut too expensive right not for me to use

17. trublue01

trublue01 Member

yea i hope dl dics comedown soon. they are jsut too expensive right not for me to use

18. cuong1

cuong1 Member

I am new. If anyone can help me please.
    I have dvdxcopy321 and i just purchased memorex 16x daul layer and i installed to my computer. I put the movie in and it will only read for about 5 seconds and stop. In the task manager the xcopy does not respond. I tried this a couple of times and same result. What can i do to make this burner work with xcopy or another software. Thank You.

19. vides2012

vides2012 Guest

I have nero 6.6.0.6,and dvd shrink 3.2,but I can't write to a DL disc.My writer supports DL writing.Please help!

20. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-9 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-9 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank double layer disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

UES THE .MDS FILE IN KNOWS THE LAYER BREAK INFO

1 app done!