1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+RW or DVD-RW for home back up?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by k0k0m0, Mar 10, 2005.

1. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

Hi...

Yesterday went to the store to buy a DVD RW and the guy asked me if I wanted a "plus" or "minus" disc.

I looked at him totally puzzled and he said that even though "minus" discs were 20% cheaper, people bought "plus" for multisession.

I didn't know what to say, so I come here and ask. Which one should I buy for mere home back up? Does the + or - system matter here? My burner can handle both systems by the way.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

There shouldn't be a whole lot difference between the +rw and -rw.It's where you those rw's will be played on that will decide that question. Regular dvd-r/+r backups can be difficult in some stand alone players. The rw's can be trickier. I found this out a year ago on my home burner and same holds true on pc dvdr backups. You might want to pick up a pack of the cheaper priced -rw's and try them out. They are erasable,so you can always keep them around.
    What is the brand name of those -rws?

3. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

Most likely I'll use them for back uping data and perhaps DVD-video...

The brand was Verbatim, IIRC

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those verbatim's should be very good quality. Give those -rw's a go.If you run into compatability issues when you play them in stand alone players,then you could always give the +rw's a shot.

It's hard telling members what is the best format to use. It all depends on the burners and stand alone players.Some members swear by dash,others swear by plus. You might have to expirament with both.Those players you play those backups on will tell you which format they like.That's the nice thing about dual format burners,you'll have more flexibility to finding out which format to use. Good Luck

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I think that the biggest difference is that the +RW discs can't be finalized ... Some of the older 'set top' players will have trouble reading them ... Of course if they're being used for data, 'set top' compatability becomes unecessary ...

6. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I've been stocking up on Ridata 4X DVD+RWs from Newegg ($30 after rebate for 100pc DVD+RW spindles). The recorders out now only like 2.4X and 4X anyway. There are alot more differences between +RWs and -RWs than +Rs and -Rs and you should read up on them to fit your needs. +RWs do not have to be finalized at all so you can take out the disc from your recorder and it should work in your PC. -RWs are better for editing (well at least for Sonys) but need to be finalized before they will work on your PC. -RWs are also more expensive.