1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-rw question.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dvdauthor, Mar 12, 2005.

1. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

Ok, I have a story, before my question. I use dvd-rw's because it reduces my coaster rate (the software I use can sometimes burn videos with something screwed up (Not user error). Then, I burn from the -RW to the -R. I just bought some new dvd-rw's because the first two I got that came with my computer are way to old - I never formated the 2 i've just started using - now i've noticed that even after erasing them, they act funny during playback of the new video that I've recorded to them - I've just did a "full" erase and format on one of the dvd-rw's (memorex btw) and i'm going to see if that helps....

My question: is formatting a dvd-rw that important? Normally, I would say yes, but the first two I ever got - I never formatted them until after like, 50 burns because only then did I see problems....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2005
  2. chas0039

chas0039 Member

I've been burning for over a year and I never formatted anything before I burn. Most DVD burning software I have seen doesn't need it. I am not really clear where formatting is needed but my guess is that writing data with packet writing and others is where it is required. When you write the entire disc and then finalize it is not. My guess is that your problem is the quality of the burner or media. There is a wide variation for both.

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

As long as you do a full erase, that should be enough. You may want to use another brand. I have had great results with my sony and fuji RWs(made in japan) for close to 2 years. I have used the hell out of them and they are still going. Also, check for the latest firmware.(just in case)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  4. Anrath

Anrath Member

I have a couple DVD+rw's that I have been using for about 6 months on an almost daily basis burning tv shows that I record on my computer.

I have never formated them and usually do a full erase every 10 burns or so otherwise just a quick erase. These are Sony Made in Japan and still work flawlessly.