1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD - RW Stuck In UDMA 2

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Sorrow1, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

I Have 2 DVD Re Writers (Lite-On DVD RW BSOR 1633S) (NEC DVD RW ND-3500AG),They are Both On The Same Channel Lite On Is Set As Master, NEC Slave, They Are
    Both Capable Of UDMA 4, Lite on is in DMA 4, NEC Wont Budge From DMA 2,I Have Tried Everything - ANY Help Would Be Appreciated.

2. greg3000

greg3000 Member

Have you tried making the NEC master and the Lite On slave? If possible, have you tried putting the 2 burners on separate IDE channels?

3. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Yes that may be the problem. You did unstall the NEC and reboot? That should change the DMA. You may also need to update the NECs firmware.

4. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

I have one DVD writer as master on IDE 0, and WinXP Pro has assigned it DMA 4 mode. The other DVD writer is the slave on IDE 1 and WinXP Pro assigned it DMA 2.

No big deal to me - I haven't seen any difference at all in DVD reading or writing speeds between the two burners.

If I remember correctly, the max transfer rates of DMA 4 are way faster than you would ever need for a DVD writer anyway. Just be sure you have at least DMA 2 and not a PIO mode.

5. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

NEC's firmware is up to date,havent tried switching drives around, well as long as its not causing a degrade in performance i will leave well enough alone.-Thanks for the input(i have fixed this problem before but cant remember how i did it)

6. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

Prior to the installation of the NEC both connected DVD RW's were in DMA 4.